f@h freezes computer

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby CDBurner » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:27 pm

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Edit: The latest version on MSI's site is 3.6; however, my K7T Turbo2 board came with 3.7.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby riley0853 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:14 pm

have definetely updated drivers. have not flashed bios as the msi live update says the update that's available is only for supporting cpu's over and above mine if understand it.

have not wanted to write since my last post because i didn't want to speak too soon BUT.... last night i swapped out the various components to eliminate any of those as a possibility, network card, video card, even used a different hard drive. there wasn't anything left to swap out or disconnect except the cpu fan. so i pulled the volcano 7 off the heat sink and put on a fan from a volcano 9 set up to manually adjust the fan speed. i've never let the cpu temp get above 47, generally holding it at 45 according to mbm. its running 3 to 6 hundred rpm faster than the volcano 7 was with its sensor pushed down into the heat sink. it's folded for over 20 hours without a glitch. :D

so yes tulatin i wonder about not only the board but also the cpu and cd burner do you think there would be a value in flashing the bios. i appreciate any and all suggestions i've always gotten here. right now i plan to run with the current setup for awhile and see if i can get it to lock up again
Help humanity! Join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
riley0853
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:17 pm

What the issue may have been is a bad fan on the V7, which occasionally shorts out, and causes a freeze. If you don't think shorting can cause a mahine to stop, just conntect yellow and black with a paper clip while it's running and see what happens.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby riley0853 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:42 pm

but shouldn't the fan stopping have given me an alarm from mbm?
Help humanity! Join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
riley0853
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:43 pm

No - because it would have locked the system by shorting.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby riley0853 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:02 pm

good point. one thing i haven't tried is backing off the rpms on the fan and letting the cpu temp rise over 48. that's where it always locked.

update: been running at 50 without a hitch (51.4 according to sisoft), folding and with me trying to aggravate it. no signs of freezing (a computer, the only thing in the world that could think of freezing at 50c)
i guess when it got to a certain temp that opened the short in the previous fan? will post a note if i run into any problems after this wu wrap up and it moves on to another. right now, i'm a happy riley :D 8) :lol:
Help humanity! Join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
riley0853
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team