Need some help, advice

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need some help, advice

Postby Pette Broad » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:26 am

O.K, I'm up and running, but need some help now. What I want to do is use computers that aren't linked to the Internet. So how do I transfer the work over to other computers? How do I upload my results from these computers? They're all networked, so moving files about isn't a problem.

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:26 pm

so you have an isolated LAN? the only real way to fold then is to at least have a dial-up account for one of the pc's then you can prolly write a custom batch file to transfer the files to that pc then upload them from there.

this 'not wanting to have internet access' while folding seems to be a new trend that i don't really follow.
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Aussie » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:18 pm

Download client to machine A (internet connected)
Make a separate directory for each (non connected) client you plan on running
Run client with appropriate config and other flags
During config assign appropriate number to machine (1-4)
Make sure asknet=yes
Copy registry key to each directory
Copy directory to movable media
Move directory(ies) to target machine, put the registry key in the local registry (You should use regedit.exe to export your userid from your main computer("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PandeGroup\Folding@home"). )
Run the client with the local flag
WATCH and harvest when finished.
Return to machine you downloaded it on.
Run client with -send all flag
repeat.

As you can see this is possible but complicated, it would probably be easier to connect an internet server to the network to allow all machines to have internet access as required. This can be achieved using even an old 486 with a hardware modem running a dedicated OS such as Smoothwall.

http://www.smoothwall.org/

I have used this in the past and it works a damn treat for providing dialup internet access for a network.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:20 pm

It may be best to have one machine acting as a server, dialing into the net as needed, and have the rest linked up to it via a lan.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Aussie » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:42 pm

Aussie
it would probably be easier to connect an internet server to the network to allow all machines to have internet access as required.

Tulatin
It may be best to have one machine acting as a server, dialing into the net as needed, and have the rest linked up to it via a lan.

Is there an echo in here? :P

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:13 pm

possibly :D
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:14 pm

Aussie, curious about the smoothwall system specs used?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:26 pm

Thanks guys,

I've been folding on the Internet connected machine for now. Have had ahem a few problems today, but I'll make a start on getting the other machines up and running over the weekend. They're all LAN connected, so I should be O.K for four or five machines by Monday.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:34 pm

DefaultDave wrote:so you have an isolated LAN? the only real way to fold then is to at least have a dial-up account for one of the pc's then you can prolly write a custom batch file to transfer the files to that pc then upload them from there.

this 'not wanting to have internet access' while folding seems to be a new trend that i don't really follow.

Lots of isolated Lan's. It's not that I don't want internet access on the other machines it would probably tie me up for several days connecting them all up, putting the software on, etc. I do have 3 connected, but because I'm stuck with DialUp I can only use one at a time. I'll look into Smoothwall though.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Aussie » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:31 am

Aussie, curious about the smoothwall system specs used?

I used a 486 DX4-100 with 16Mb of RAM a 200Mb hard drive and a 56k ISA modem, the system must have a NIC of course. I ran Smoothwall version 0.99 and had it set up for "dial on command" so that you had to establish the connection manually as required however it can be set up for "dial on demand" so that any software package that attempts to access the internet will trigger a dialup.

I used this system for a period of 18 months to 2 years until I got ADSL about 12 months ago, it worked flawlessly for me during that time and was dead easy to set up even for a complete Linux newbie like myself.

The box still sits in the corner just in case I ever need to revert to a dialup connection again heaven forbid. :lol:

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team