Our total amount of Ghz

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Wookie8662 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:36 am

I have tried to use SoftFSB, SetFSB, and SpeedFan.
All they did was lockup my the duallie.
I have tried with a pair of Duron 1200's (100FSB), and a pair of XP1600's (133FSB). None of the programs could even get the current FSB correct, including the "special" version of the Tiger SetFSB version.

Its not too big of a deal though, as that is a rock solid machine.
Only reboots I have done to it in the last year, is due to me locking it up, trying to use overclocking software.

I have other "toys" that I can OC with, as soon as I get them cleaned up, and reassembled.
Wookie8662
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:39 am

Figures... finiky motherboard....
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Wookie8662 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:12 am

I couldnt get the duallie to run both clients at the same time.
So, took 2 other boxes XP1600, and XP1700 and set them up with FAH running 24/7.

I set the dual back to running the beta testing for the new BOINC client.

I added an XP2000+ box to the farm.
The XP1600 is running at 142FSB, the XP1700 at 150FSB, and the XP2000 at 146FSB. You can add those increases to the total here.

First WU completed was worth 32pts. :D

Stay tuned, more to come.....
Wookie8662
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Aussie » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:23 am

I couldnt get the duallie to run both clients at the same time.

I have a Tyan S2460 with 2 x 2400+'s running two console clients, it's been 24/7 running now for probably 2 months straight without problems.

What difficulties did you run into?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Wookie8662 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:58 am

OS is Win2kPro.
I set the clients up in seperate directories.
Ran them both with the -local -advmethods flags.
Whichever client I started first, would stop processing when the second was started. It would show both as working, and resources showed both at 50% CPU use. But only one would advance through the frames.
I removed and reinstalled three times, all three times with the same results.

No biggie though, I now have 3 CPU's running FAH instead of the 2 I was going to use.

I know that Tyan says the board will support up to XP1900's.
Did you do any mods to your MB to run the 2400's?
Wookie8662
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Aussie » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:51 am

No mods at all just the latest bios, CPU's are recognised as 2000MHz Athlons.

As far as your folding setup goes on the duallie there is a precise setup that must be followed for it to work.

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2003-06-10.html

b) Two folds are better than one (Difficulty: Advanced)
For those lucky users with dual-processor machines or rigs with hyperthreaded P4s, you can run two instances of the Console version simultaneously. It's rather involved, but well worth it to see both of your CPUs (or both of your virtual CPUs) being utilized to their fullest. These instructions assume you are running Win2K Pro or XP Pro.

1) First, create two separate directories and dump FAH3Console.exe in each one.

2) Then, you're going to have to make a shortcut to each FAH3Console.exe. Paste the Shortcuts into the C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup folder so that both FAH consoles will startup every time the system boots up.

3) Right click on each shortcut you've created. You'll see the "Target" line: "C:Program Filesetc.etc.FAH3Console.exe"

Now, you MUST add the -local flag, if you haven't already done so here. Remember to add the -local flag for each shortcut. It's also a good idea to add -advmethods and -forceasm.

4) Now, you're almost set. Double click on one of the shortcuts you created. The first time you do, you'll be asked to configure FAH. Aside from your username and Team No. (select team No. 11108 for Team MPC), one of the configuration options is to set the Machine ID for the first FAH3Console.exe program to "1" (when you get to the point where we run the second FAH3Console.exe, you'll need to set the second one's Machine ID to "2").

5) Now that one instance of FAH is up and running, go into your task manager and hit the "processes" tab. You'll see FAH3Console.exe there. Right click on it and choose "Set Affinity" and set it for CPU 0 only (uncheck CPU 1). You'll also see FAHCore_xx.exe running. Set that for CPU 0 too.

6) Now you're ready to run the second console (again, launch it by clicking on your second created shortcut). When you configure it, set it for a different machine ID ("2").

7) In take manager, you'll set the Affinity for your second instance of FAH3Console.exe for CPU 1. Now, this will be tricky as you'll see two FAH3Console.exe's running. You can check which one is the first one by checking the affinity. The new one will have both CPU 0 and 1 checked, while the first one was just set to CPU 0.

8 ) Do the same thing with the second FAHCore_xx.exe. Set it to CPU 1 only.

9) Now you're running two instances of FAH, and they are taking full advantage of your processors.

10) As long as you don't close out the Console programs, they'll remember their affinity. If you close them, or restart or reboot your computer, you'll need to go back and set the affinity again.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:03 am

Wookie8662 wrote:OS is Win2kPro.
I set the clients up in seperate directories.
Ran them both with the -local -advmethods flags.
Whichever client I started first, would stop processing when the second was started. It would show both as working, and resources showed both at 50% CPU use. But only one would advance through the frames.
I removed and reinstalled three times, all three times with the same results.

No biggie though, I now have 3 CPU's running FAH instead of the 2 I was going to use.

did you copy and paste the downloaded console version prior to starting the config? if you copied and pasted after the config, then that would be the error, as the specific id's created would be the same- FAH wants different id's for each version running. this is different than the machine id under config. if you look at the console during initial start up (w/ verbosity 9 flag), you should see a different id# for each client running. what you see in the console, is also recorded in the fahlog.txt file(s).

btw, it's recommended to download a console version to each directory/ folder and not copy and paste between them. use the 3.25beta console that is linked to at the bottom of the downloads page. this will allow the -forceasm flag to be applied for all wu's worked on.

flags to use w/ console version (use 3.25beta), and athlon xp cpus:
Code: Select all
-config -forceasm -advmethods -verbosity 9 -local

also select advanced options while configuring the console and select FAH wu pref, 100% cpu, low priority, ect... (of course add your handle and team #33258 as well :P )
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wookie8662 » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:49 am

Ok, looks like I'm getting alot of help here.

I'll try it again when I'm off work on Sunday.
I need to clean out the case anyhow, its been about 6 months. 8O

If it does work, then its another excuse to look for faster XP's. :wink:
Wookie8662
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:33 pm

That's a goood thing... :wink:
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby J.C.GARCIA » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:10 pm

a small question regarding the above flags . i run the 3.25 v and my son runs the 3.24 v , although i'mm not getting a speed boost , both run the same wu's on the same time per frame , . we both have the -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9 flags . on one of the replies it mentions something about the -config and -local flags . what do these flags do :?:
p4 2.4b 533mhz fsb
epox 4bea2
768mb ddr pc2100
radeon 7000 64mb w/tv out
120gb seagate hard drive 7200rpm
40gb seagate hard drive 5400rpm
live 1024
dvdrw lg gsa 4040b
cdrw btc 48x16x48x
xp home
J.C.GARCIA
Black Belt 3rd Degree