New mb.org F@H site

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby son0rous » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:04 pm

Len444 wrote:hey smurf pimp, i didn't write the home page stuff- give the autor that wrote it credit.

disabilitating- were you thinking of debilitating?

yup, typo, it was 2:00 when i wrote it lol
where do you want me to put the credit?

btw, i'll get working on some graph's, but it'll take a few days to get the stats to make it look like a graph
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby len444 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:46 pm

i've been adding some content to the outline page that i posted in my sig (some of the added stuff is not really ready yet). currently stumbling on the windows console cofiguration part. i rebooted into windows to see how things go, and the simplest windows console config is just download it, transfer to a desktop folder created for it, double click the executable, input info, and let it run. use ctrl -c to close it. very easy to do.

now the multiple cpu config is a bit tougher. when they say install to seperate directories, i'm not following that. are the directories created w/ a command, or is it just stick the differently labeled folders in w/ the programs files folders, and then cd to it in the console, and execute it? supposed to configure in task manager for each cpu as well.

perhaps Aussie can explain the details in doing multiple cpu config in windows?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby son0rous » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:52 pm

i would say pm Aussie because he should know how. I have no experience with dual processor machines.
i just finished doing some small tweaks to the site, i made it so that all of the links to outside sites open in new windows so they can view them without my frames getting in the way.
is tulatin taking care of the rules write up?
with the console version you can use flags to config it more
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby len444 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:04 pm

smurf pimp wrote:with the console version you can use flags to config it more

yes, i am aware of this functionality. i have used it w/ mandrake linux, but not w/ windows console. i just stuck the executable in a folder double clicked it, and it unpacked into the folder, and it opened a console window, to which i configured and ran. i was not able to reopen it w/ a command from an opened command prompt window. i tried to paste it into the program files directory, and cd to it (ie cd \program files\FAH), and i got that far. i typed in dir<enter> and the executable was listed there, but i couldn't get it to run. if i can get it to run by entering a command at the command prompt, then i can add the "flags" for extra functionality, as well as multi cpu config (which needs the -local flag to run correctly on a multi- cpu windows machine).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wookie8662 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:11 pm

I have done the multiple clients with Seti@Home.
Seti is not coded for SMP, so this is how to use 2 processors:

Put a complete client setup in a folder called Folding1 (or whatever you wish to use as a name). Put a 2nd complete client in another folder called Folding2.

Make a shortcut/quick launch to each program.
Each client will run seperately, and each one will access one CPU.

Only requirement for this, is that the OS must support multiple CPU's.
Wookie8662
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby len444 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:30 pm

Wookie8662 wrote:I have done the multiple clients with Seti@Home.
Seti is not coded for SMP, so this is how to use 2 processors:

Put a complete client setup in a folder called Folding1 (or whatever you wish to use as a name). Put a 2nd complete client in another folder called Folding2.

Make a shortcut/quick launch to each program.
Each client will run seperately, and each one will access one CPU.

Only requirement for this, is that the OS must support multiple CPU's.

wookie, i basically did just that, and the idea was from hanging out at the seti message boards :)
there must be 2 instances for fah to run on a dual cpu config. in linux, you acually have to download 2 console files, and unpack (chmod) each one. they specifically state that for linux do not copy an executable- must be downloaded for each instance for it to work.

basically, i can run the executable by double clicking it, and it references the config file in the folder it resides in (where it was unpacked). no problem, very easy, and for most that's all that's necessary. i want to know how to get the command syntax correct to get it to run from a command prompt dialog box that i open by start-> run cmd<enter> ( as opposed to double clicking the fah console executable in the folder). i believe that that is the only way to specify the flags like this:
Code: Select all
\FAH3.25-Console-beta.exe -config -forceasm -advmethods -local -verbosity 9
i'm sure this is quite easy, just need to either have someone step forward, and lend some assistance, or locate a FAH team page that has a some code examples. i did see this at the fah forums, but i couldn't locate the article. i might just post there. i need some answers.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby son0rous » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:32 pm

Len444 wrote:yes, i am aware of this functionality. i have used it w/ mandrake linux, but not w/ windows console. i just stuck the executable in a folder double clicked it, and it unpacked into the folder, and it opened a console window, to which i configured and ran. i was not able to reopen it w/ a command from an opened command prompt window. i tried to paste it into the program files directory, and cd to it (ie cd \program files\FAH), and i got that far. i typed in dir<enter> and the executable was listed there, but i couldn't get it to run. if i can get it to run by entering a command at the command prompt, then i can add the "flags" for extra functionality, as well as multi cpu config (which needs the -local flag to run correctly on a multi- cpu windows machine).

i am sort of new to the idea of commands and such so its a little hard for me to follow......haha......so from what i understand you opened the console, but cant put in any commands?????
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby len444 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:01 pm

Smurf_Pimp wrote:
Len444 wrote:yes, i am aware of this functionality. i have used it w/ mandrake linux, but not w/ windows console. i just stuck the executable in a folder double clicked it, and it unpacked into the folder, and it opened a console window, to which i configured and ran. i was not able to reopen it w/ a command from an opened command prompt window. i tried to paste it into the program files directory, and cd to it (ie cd \program files\FAH), and i got that far. i typed in dir<enter> and the executable was listed there, but i couldn't get it to run. if i can get it to run by entering a command at the command prompt, then i can add the "flags" for extra functionality, as well as multi cpu config (which needs the -local flag to run correctly on a multi- cpu windows machine).

i am sort of new to the idea of commands and such so its a little hard for me to follow......haha......so from what i understand you opened the console, but cant put in any commands?????

well not exactly. when i double clicked the windows console executable, it opens a command window, w/ the fah stuff all loaded, and ready to go. the first time, i configure the nickname, team#, work unit preference under advanced for the sub 500mhz machines, cpu%, machine id#, ect... and it fetched a WU, and started crunching away. all the machine specific info, config, and WU cached files are created by the executable, and exist in the same folder that the executable resides w/ in. now there was no option for inputting the flags that i could see. i'm interested in opening a seperate console window, and putting in a command to get the FAH console client running w/ the flags. think of it this way, if you open the command prompt, you could open any program from w/ in that command prompt window. say you wanted to copy a file from hard drive to floppy- you'ld cd to the file, then use a command to copy the hdd file to the floppy. so basically when you select icons in windows, your really just using an association to execute the same commands that would occur in the terminal. of course there might be reduced functionality in the command prompt, but i'm not certain. basically called command line execution. back in the day that is all a computer was. a terminal, and you'ld input commands at the command prompt. right now, i'm looking for someone who knows the commands to execute FAH w/ all the desired flags in a windows 2k command prompt "console".
Last edited by len444 on Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby son0rous » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:07 pm

check the FAQ at the mb.org FAH site, i believe its question #16. it explains how to enter them in a windows os
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby len444 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:11 pm

Smurf_Pimp wrote:check the FAQ at the mb.org FAH site, i believe its question #16. it explains how to enter them in a windows os

smurf, put a link to the mb.org FAH team in your sig (255 characters max).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team