Record Sized WU!

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Aussie » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:15 pm

I think she is talking about this bit Aussie and not the challenge it self.

Aussie wrote:

I accumulated that score in about 21 days so achieving that score in 30 days would hardly be a challenge would it?

All through the forums there are posts by you proclaiming the superiority of Intel over AMD and posts about your overclocked P4 and how good it is. For example:-

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=29220

We have heard how you build the fastest overclocked computers with a warranty in the world and how "Dream Machinez" are the best "brand" of PC's there is.

That is an "attack"? Is it in any way untruthful? I merely repeated what you had said and offered you a way of proving it.

the above quote does seem to come accross like your trying to rub my nose in it

Rub your nose in what? Your own words?

I have learned my lesson. Check out all my posts since then

I have been watching and I have noticed - you've done well.

Maybe you should show some of that restraint you were lecturing me about.

You may not realise it but I am being restrained.

You seem to have a grudge against me.

No no no, I do not have a grudge against you at all what I am challenging is your statements.

Would it help If i apologize for bragging?

I thought you already had. :wink:

The challenge I "invented" is hardly as unbalanced as you claim, I have 2 x 2000MHz processors running on a 266MHz DDR FSB using 1Gb of DDR266 ECC memory. Now what speed is your processor again? 4300MHz? And what FSB is it running on? 800MHz or better? What speed is your memory? DDR400 or better? Don't you have the "advantage" of hyperthreading?

It is common knowledge that with dual processing you don't get "double the speed" because of the overheads involved and I'm forced to use slow ECC memory as well so as you can see, if anything I'm the one with the disadvantage and I certainly don't believe that I was making this challenge as a guaranteed winner.

There is no doubt that Intel currently has the fastest processor on the market, by a small margin, especially when overclocked and even more so when extreme overclocking is applied as in your case. The only real chance that AMD has of coming close to that is with dual processors (forgetting the Hammer for now) and a dual Athlon system can be built for a similar price as a single CPU system using the current topend Intel processor maybe even less.

The challenge I made would have been one way of indicating whether this was a viable alternative or not for AMD users. Admittedly it is only one "benchmark" but that's better than none.

So, are you of the opinion that one of your "Dream Machinez" can't beat my low budget AMD job or what?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:21 pm

Only 2000 Mhz Aussie? I didn't realise such slow chips still existed. You should oc those boys up to 2.2 or 2.3 ghz (water cooled of course) and run dual clients, each taking advantage of one proc.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Aussie » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:40 pm

Maybe he has earned the right to act in any manner he sees fit, besides that who the hell is gonna police him

I certainly don't have the right to act in "any manner I see fit" in these forums that's for sure and I know of one "policeman", his name's MoboCop. :lol:

Besides I'm pretty sure that the other mods would jump on me real quick if I got out of hand. :oops:

Only 2000 Mhz Aussie? I didn't realise such slow chips still existed. You should oc those boys up to 2.2 or 2.3 ghz (water cooled of course)

2000MHz = 2400+, yeah hardly bleeding edge but hey I got two of them for less than a single P4. You can't overclock on a server/workstation board Tulatin there are simply no options to do so, I'm already pushing the board past its rated support for Athlon 1900+ MP maximum anyway.

and run dual clients, each taking advantage of one proc.

Well I'd certainly get my ass whipped in the challenge if I didn't do that wouldn't I? No point in having two CPU's if you are only going to use one of them.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:42 pm

Tulatin wrote:Only 2000 Mhz Aussie? I didn't realise such slow chips still existed. You should oc those boys up to 2.2 or 2.3 ghz (water cooled of course) and run dual clients, each taking advantage of one proc.

is it true that dual cpu rigs tend to not be overclockable due to using phoenix bios's?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby joshvee » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:49 pm

We all know that an AMD is capable of multiple calculations per clock a dual 2400+ which is what you said you had has 2 processors capable of keeping up with a P4 2.4 in most areas. I do realize that. it's only in the top two (3.2 v 3200+) that AMD have been a bit generous with their 3200+ allocation I do admit that the 2400+ is quite the match for the P4 2.4 in many respects.....ok if you insist I'll put up a comp against your AMD dual whatever. but I'll need time to build one.

And to answer your Q's when I said rub my nose in it I meant rub my nose in the fact that I was showing off/bragging

Aussie said:
That is an "attack"? Is it in any way untruthful? I merely repeated what you had said and offered you a way of proving it.

To repeat what I said after you told me off and told me not to do it is a dig/flame/rub whatever.
Last edited by joshvee on Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Aussie » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:54 pm

is it true that dual cpu rigs tend to not be overclockable due to using phoenix bios's?

Well the bios on my board is a Pheonix server bios so you could hardly expect overclocking options could you? I think the main overclocking limitation with dual socket A boards is the AMD chipset and the fact that it is limited in its FSB speed.

There are more "enthusiast" type dual socket A boards available now, you must remember that the Tyan Tiger MP was one of the very first dual socket A boards on the market so it is relatively ancient technology by todays standards and it certainly wasn't aimed specifically at the enthusiast. It actually says Workstation/Server board on the box.

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:20 pm

I do admit that the 2400+ is quite the match for the P4 2.4 in many respects

Which P4 2.4? The 400FSB job without hyperthreading or the 533FSB or 800FSB jobbies with hyperthreading? It gets tricky doesn't it?

ok if you insist I'll put up a comp against your AMD dual whatever. but I'll need time to build one.

I wasn't insisting I was challenging and I thought you already had one at least and possibly a shop full of them.

To repeat what I said after you told me off and told me not to do it is a dig/flame/rub whatever.

The "telling off" you got by PM was for overstepping the mark in one thread and those posts were consequently deleted, your other posts (the ones I was referring to) still stand. One of the unfortunate parts of being a moderator is that occassionally you have to write one of those PM's, I don't enjoy it but it has to be done for the sake of the forum.

Personally I consider that matter closed and my challenge has nothing to do with that incident, it has to do with posts you made prior to that regarding, in essence, that AMD CPU's were a "budget" processor only and not worth considering if you were building a "performance" system.

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:22 pm

Besides I'm pretty sure that the other mods would jump on me real quick if I got out of hand.

You bet. Any funny behaviour of one of us would damage our credibility as a whole.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby joshvee » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:58 pm

Aussie wrote:
Personally I consider that matter closed and my challenge has nothing to do with that incident, it has to do with posts you made prior to that regarding, in essence, that AMD CPU's were a "budget" processor only and not worth considering if you were building a "performance" system.

Aussie

you know what Aussie? you prove that I'm wrong. I'm tired of this bickering. I don't have to prove anything to you. just read all the posts on this site regarding this matter. a lot of them admit they buy an AMD coz of the price NOT coz its better and like I said once b4......if price was not an issue everyone would own a 3.2c.

Oh and that marginal difference between AMD3200+ and Intel 3.2c? maybe you should check the benchmarks again. Its certainly not marginal as you put it. The Intel 3.2c on the 875p chipset wipes the floor with the AMD. Or are 90% of all the benchmarks in the world wrong......it sounds like your nostalgic love for AMD is clouding your judgment. I admit AMD were up there with Intel and once upon a time maybe even slightly better. But with the onset of the 3.2c and the 875p chip set AMD have fallen behind badly......prove me wrong.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby joshvee » Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:01 pm

evasive wrote:
You bet. Any funny behaviour of one of us would damage our credibility as a whole.

sorry but doc overclock beat you to it
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team