Record Sized WU!

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Aussie » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:38 am

now is the challenge to beat your current score (1162) in 30 days?

I accumulated that score in about 21 days so achieving that score in 30 days would hardly be a challenge would it?

All through the forums there are posts by you proclaiming the superiority of Intel over AMD and posts about your overclocked P4 and how good it is. For example:-

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29220

We have heard how you build the fastest overclocked computers with a warranty in the world and how "Dream Machinez" are the best "brand" of PC's there is.

do you expect me to catch up and beat your final score in 30 days time.

Considering your claims in these forums that was my challenge however I have a better idea, lets pit your overclocked 4.3GHz P4 machine against my dual Athlon 2400+ machine for a set period and see who comes out on top.

We can create folding@Home usernames separate from our current ones for this challenge and dedicate just the output from the "challenge" machine to that username.

If you agree to this challenge there would need to be a start time agreed upon taking into consideration that each of us would have to set up for this. I would have to arrange for my dual box to have permanent net access for example which is not going to be easy considering that I have 4 machines and a modem hanging off a 5 port hub already.

Finally the time period for the challenge would have to be agreed upon.

Other considerations might be what we do if one of us loses internet access or the folding@home server is down for a long period just at the time when one of us is trying to upload a completed work unit.

My suggestions are for a 3 to 7 day setup period and a challenge period of 2 weeks to a month.

What say you?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby danniela69 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:16 am

Aussie why are you attacking and trying to humiliate joshvee so aggressively? keep it friendly please.

He's been a good boy since the 100 years war incident. :)
danniela69
Initiate
Initiate

Postby thegreatgatsbey » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:34 am

hi peeps um new so sorry that i do not no so much i read the link aussie posted and i dont see whats so bad about that. i agree with daniela u being a bit hard.

also what is WU stand for
thegreatgatsbey
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Southwind25 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:18 am

Nothing wrong with a little "gamesmanship" :wink:
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby danniela69 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:24 am

Southwind25 wrote:Nothing wrong with a little "gamesmanship" :wink:

No there aint but keep it friendly especially if you are a moderator should be leading by example
danniela69
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aussie » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:42 am

Aussie why are you attacking and trying to humiliate joshvee so aggressively? keep it friendly please.

Now where have I seen that before. :roll:

Who are you? His mummy or his minder or something? I'm sure that he is quite capable of looking after himself EVEN IF HE WAS BEING ATTACKED AGGRESSIVELY AND HUMILIATED which he is not.

How the hell do you interprete a friendly challenge as an "attack" anyway for god's sake. I'm certainly not trying to humiliate him I'm just giving him the opportunity to back his previous statements with actions, a chance to prove his argument if you like. How can that be seen as being an attack?

If you see the "loser" of the challenge as being humiliated in some way then I must be offering myself up for potential humiliation by suggesting the challenge mustn't I?

Personally I don't see any "losers" as a result of my challenge I just see Folding@Home as being the "winner".

Aussie
I'm down to one 2400+, one Athlon 1333 and one Celeron 950 now so that might give you guys a chance to "catch up".

joshvee
hmmm a challenge......HEHE your on

As you can see it was joshvee that first mentioned the word "challenge" anyway so you can blame him for planting the "seed" in my mind. :lol:

If you come into these forums making bold statements you can expect to have them "challenged" sooner or later and at least in this case I've come up with a way of challenging them that doesn't resort to aggressive personal attacks, insults or humiliation.

You've got it wrong danniela69.

thegreatgatsbey
i read the link aussie posted and i dont see whats so bad about that.

The link I gave was just one rather poor example but I see that you are new here so why don't you have a good look through the forums and you might get some idea of what I'm on about.

thegreatgatsbey
also what is WU stand for

A WU is a Work Unit in folding@home.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby joshvee » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:11 am

I think she is talking about this bit Aussie and not the challenge it self.

Aussie wrote:
I accumulated that score in about 21 days so achieving that score in 30 days would hardly be a challenge would it?

All through the forums there are posts by you proclaiming the superiority of Intel over AMD and posts about your overclocked P4 and how good it is. For example:-

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29220

We have heard how you build the fastest overclocked computers with a warranty in the world and how "Dream Machinez" are the best "brand" of PC's there is.

(can't understand why you didn't get that) but anyway Aussie is quite right I don't need anyone to stick up for me but thanks anyway.

The scolding you gave me in my private messages was enough thank you. the above quote does seem to come accross like your trying to rub my nose in it (maybe you don't realize that). I have learned my lesson. Check out all my posts since then....not a mention of the above. I even removed my comp from my sig. You seem to have a grudge against me. Maybe you should show some of that restraint you were lecturing me about. Would it help If i apologize for bragging?

Now for your new challenge.

I know a sucker bet when I see one Regardless of how fast my processor is I doubt it would keep up with a dual processor/ server. Even if you just did the basic math 2 x 2400 processors (even un-clocked) = 4800+ well that beats my 4.3 and we both know that’s not the only advantage of dual processing....simultaneous multiple calculations across two processors equate into the mix as well, to give incredible processing power especially considering that FAH is purely CPU processing based. Not really a very fair match up. So I think I’d lose that challenge. Also my 4.3 is my personal comp. My whole family use it and I use it for video editing, AutoCAD and audio engineering (H/D recording and Protools) so it isn’t available for something like this and as I said above I doubt very much that it would compete with a dual CPU comp.

But I'll give the original network Idea a go. :)
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Southwind25 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:11 am

Here's something I found interesting yesterday while I reseaching the membership of this forum wondering why we have so few participating in the Folding @ Home team, Aussie is 3rd on the mebership list, 1st as far as "active" members, 4th in total posts and the total membership is 52,163. Maybe he has earned the right to act in any manner he sees fit, besides that who the hell is gonna police him :wink: . BTW I'm not his Daddy :lol:
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby joshvee » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:16 am

Southwind25 wrote:Here's something I found interesting yesterday while I reseaching the membership of this forum wondering why we have so few participating in the Folding @ Home team, Aussie is 3rd on the mebership list, 1st as far as "active" members, 4th in total posts and the total membership is 52,163. Maybe he has earned the right to act in any manner he sees fit, besides that who the hell is gonna police him :wink: . BTW I'm not his Daddy :lol:

LOL :lol:
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:24 am

Finally got back in now - whew. My version of folding was just messed up or rounding off the frames. But, that WU decided to go down with my last version, so i have a 500 fromaer (goes up 5 at a time so a 100 framer) on my 3.25 client.

And Josh - if you want to whoop Aussis's score, take a morgae out on the house, and put together 10 3 ghz, Abit IC7, 1 Gb DDR500, dinky Hd watercooled machines OC'D to 5 Ghz... but use 1 water kit and a lot of blocks to do the whole thing.

In relation to Josh and Aussie

Aussie wasn't attacking josh, just poking some competition

Now as to danniela69 - that's the second time you've defended Josh now. Seems like you know him...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team