I've flatlined

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I've flatlined

Postby warbenekar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Well, as I feared would eventually happen my machines were finally re-tasked and as such I have no active folders, save my lone personal pc, which isn't actually folding because I just re-did everything on it. It was a good run while it lasted, but my numbers will be nowhere near the level they had been previously. Either way I am glad to have helped the team out as much as I could and I hope even my little contribution will continue to help.

-Warbenekar- :(
Fold Team 33258
warbenekar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:09 am

sounds familiar.... Trying to set up a new bunch of systems too...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:58 pm

If only one WU per week, or 100 WU per day.. each one is a step forward to finding the method of how proteins fold, and why.. and how they become malignant or beneficial. Certain protein DNA strains have been "patched" or "grafted" with different markers, to check if malformations can be averted.

As long as you have a decent computer that can run two WUs separately, there should be no "flat-lining" for any contributor. I have gotten some WUs that finish in less than a day.. and others may take a week or more. Would give more than 16 hours daily operation of my computer, but I have to consider other expenses besides electric costs at $0.175 USD (17-1/2 cents) per KWH. And I feel more at ease, with the PC shut down.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby warbenekar » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:07 am

Well I was merely trying to get to the point that I don't have the several PCs running F@H anymore, just the one and if you look at my stats page, that is pretty obvious. Now I only have my one system, which in PC terms is rather dated, as it is a socket 939 amd 64 3200+ @ 2GHz. So running more than one client isn't likely. Perhaps when the economy begins to turn I can get the Quad-core system of my dreams, but until then, this is all I can do. And just for fun I did start folding@home on my REALLY old Dell Latitude CPXj 650GT. Yup that is right a PIII at 650MHz although it does have 512 MB of system memory and is actually my makeshift print server so I figure that is good use.
Fold Team 33258
warbenekar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 pm

We do what we can, when we can, and when affordable.

I have been doing the F@H project for most of my time here. I originally had an older machine, as noted.. and it could handle only one WU at a time. I upgraded to a P4 with HT, which can easily handle two WU processes simultaneously.. as long as they are in differently named folders.
But even a 1.0 Ghz single-core CPU with the FPU should be able to handle two WU processes, with no problem (as noted, being in separately named folders). If you have a PS2/3 or other gaming console, it too can join in the process to give you more credits.
The latest genre of video cards can now do the F@H processes very efficiently. But to set up such a system can be expensive!
Win 98 and Win ME are still viable for F@H, but for how much longer? Win2K and XP are still supported, and can handle multi-tasking very easily.. unlike their predecessors.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:22 am

I was wondering what happened to your machines. Thanks for the team boost. It was sure fun while it lasted. :D
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby whiteboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:21 am

Karlsweldt wrote:We do what we can, when we can, and when affordable.

If you have a PS2/3 or other gaming console, it too can join in the process to give you more credits.

PS2?? I knew you can do it on a PS3 but not sure about the PS2. If you can what all do you need to set it up? I have one that my kids play on once in awhile so if that can be used as well then I'll add the thing to the mix. Also considering how advance the Wii is also...anybody ever heard of setting one up to try and fold?

and as far as old computers...I had a 600 Mhz cely running for awhile but havnt set it back up since the move. now that I have some sort of high speed out here Most of the systems that I had on my network are coming back up. one a week if i'm lucky but still coming up.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Kind of simple to do, with a PS2. First, get the Linux kit and load up. Then get the Linux F@H client!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby whiteboy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:36 am

yeah the bad thing is that they stop stop making/selling the kits a few years ago. I got this from my brother-in-law and it already has the network piece in it, I have the HDD, just have to find a ISO of the cd's that came with it and try to burn them for the ps2. otherwise it shopping on ebay for one and that gonna be more then $600 for the thing. I'm not going to dump that much in here just for a few extra points
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team