FahCore_a1.exe being caught as a Trojan Horse???

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

FahCore_a1.exe being caught as a Trojan Horse???

Postby MrG » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:20 am

I've been getting alerts from my anti-virus (AVast) all day that FahCore_a1.exe is a Trojan Horse :?

Folding fails to run even if I choose to ignore the warning from AVast. So I've not been able to Fold all day! :x

Has anyone else seen this? Can anyone offer any useful advice to solve the issue?
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Doesn't sound good!
May be best to shut down the F@H process in that folder, and move the core to another folder (Temp?). Then restart the WU process, and if the core it needs is not found, a new one will be downloaded automatically.
Viral types look for executable files to start ravaging.. with the "bat", "com" or "exe" tagnames.
Here is some info on the F@H core types.
This page link may be of use. It explains how to check the integrity of executable files with 'hash marks'.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:39 am

AVast sorted the "false positive" problem with a database update.

I'm just curious if it's ever happened to anyone else before?

A whole day wasted! :x :x :x
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 pm

I've had plenty of false positives with Avast. They've always been with the data files that Folding@Home creates, never with the Folding Core though.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby paolari » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:10 pm

How do you get rid of trojan horses without downloading a program? Can you do a system restore to restore it to it's original state(before you started using the computer)?I really need some help because I have a computer that has 13 on it and I don't want to buy a new one. What happens if the trojan horse is unhealable?
paolari
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org, paolari.
The only sure way to cleanse a system that is not in critical stages is by using the 'safe' mode of operation. Disable the Windows Restore feature first, then manually run the anti-virus and other programs needed to flush them out. In 'safe' mode, many programs aren't in an active state.. and this includes most viral and Trojan types. Do a few restarts in 'normal' mode, and once you are sure the system is sanitized, then turn on the Windows restore feature again. If you don't follow this course, then Windows will faithfully undo all your work on the next reboot!
There are many great programs to cleanse a system, and the purchased versions are usually more powerful than those free offers. Additionally, AdAware from www.lavasoft.com/ is great for rooting out nasties and other malicious files and cookies. Another great program is HijackThis from www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html . Both are freeware, if wanted.
But be cautious about using HijackThis, as Registry 'fixes' are permanent, and may cause system instability if not used properly. If you have questions about a HijackThis scan, post them in our Virus/Spyware topic folder.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team