Project 3065 is such a pain!

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Project 3065 is such a pain!

Postby MrG » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm just getting the 3065 units in on time by the skin of my bare teeth. Every other unit is fine except these. They just seem so damn slow to fold, but with such a short deadline, if I have an outage of more than 2 hours, I'm buggered :x
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Those are some very short folding processes.. and likely less than 2 days deadline. They are intended for a 24/7 run, so you can submit them within the limits. You may be able to improve performance by disabling any other programming that is not essential, and allow the computer to stand aside from any other uses. A blank screen would be the most efficient method for improving the crunch ratio. Any other screen saver app will cause longer work times.

As with any work unit, the faster it is submitted, the more units you will obtain for working. If the WU is submitted late, that means it will be reissued to you or others for processing. If all units are submitted before their deadline, then that strain will be replaced with another. Even the same project number may have many different 'runs' within the same process. They all can be different.

If you have problems with a stable mains source, then consider a small UPS that could maintain the operations for up to 10 minutes or so.. then you would have no worries about loosing your progress, or any corrupted files from an impromptu shutdown.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team