Question about SMP projects

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Chozo » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:11 am

I have to agree with Karlsweldt on this one; you need to install everything into a separate directory and, as it recommends in the guide, it is easiest to put it in the root of whatever partition you are installing it on. I am also running Vista (x64) and while I have gotten it to work without changing the install path, it does make it easier if you do.
Chozo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby MrG » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:44 am

Chozo wrote:I have to agree with Karlsweldt on this one; you need to install everything into a separate directory and, as it recommends in the guide, it is easiest to put it in the root of whatever partition you are installing it on. I am also running Vista (x64) and while I have gotten it to work without changing the install path, it does make it easier if you do.

I can only repeat what I've already said:
MrG wrote:2 distinct problems:
a) The downloaded installer installed the system files into C:\Program Files\Folding@Home SMP Client V1.01, but if I use this path for the -d parameter it errors because the path is too long.

b) If I move the Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe file to a simpler folder e.g. C:\FAH as in the example, I get the 1067 error.

I have no option of changing the install folder.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:19 pm

Ensure you are using the latest client, as listed in this link..
38680dde7b97fd49e51eca3ab0d31a50
Released: 2008-11-26
And here is a how-to guide for installing the SMP client with Vista.
If there is an execution error with the path name, then perhaps the space between "Program" and "Files" is not recognized as a proper path statement.
The more reason to create that "Programs" directory.
If the install process defaults to the Program Files and won't offer a change, then try deleting characters of the path so you have Programs listed.
If the console client is 32-bit only, and the Vista OS is 64-bit only, therein lies a conflict of compatibility. The OS may attempt to combine two 32-bit commands into one!
Lots of listings at MS on error 1067.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:17 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Ensure you are using the latest client, as listed in this link..
38680dde7b97fd49e51eca3ab0d31a50
Released: 2008-11-26
And here is a how-to guide for installing the SMP client with Vista.
If there is an execution error with the path name, then perhaps the space between "Program" and "Files" is not recognized as a proper path statement.
The more reason to create that "Programs" directory.
If the install process defaults to the Program Files and won't offer a change, then try deleting characters of the path so you have Programs listed.

Thanks for the links Karl. It seems "running as a Service" is NOT supported for SMP.

I only wish I read that earlier :x
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Seems that those "inmates" of the Redmond dungeon didn't play fair with all their cards again, eh? :lol:
I'm still running W2K, with an older Pentium 4 3.0 Prescott.. and I have two WUs in progress simultaneously. Yes, the points aren't as great as with the newer processes, but I'll take whatever projects are sent my way. I run two separate clients, each on a different partition.. with no conflicts. They are non-service launch, so if I want to shut the processes down completely, I can. With a service-launch process, the clients will never totally shut down, until you shut down the system. Vista has too much overhead as it is.
All you need is a link or two for start-up automatically, or some desktop icons.
Will I upgrade? Maybe, when that Lotto "birdie" leaves a big golden lump on my shoulder!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:49 pm

On Vista I think it needs to be in the Public directory ie c:\public\folding@home. I had to move it there to get it to work properly.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby MrG » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:39 am

Pette Broad wrote:On Vista I think it needs to be in the Public directory ie c:\public\folding@home. I had to move it there to get it to work properly.

Pete

I think I've got it working (sort of) now. I can't get it running as a service, the best I got was an entry into the Windows Services but it just sits there "starting" and never actually starts, even if it is located at C:\Users\... as the links from Stanford suggest.

I might try again sometime on a faster machine, but at the moment it is running manually which is a pain but better than nothing.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:51 pm

If a self-standing entity like any other program, then it should have no problems running. All you need do is create a link to the Console command line in its folder.. and associate with a desktop icon or put the link in the 'Start up" portion of the menu. The Task Bar will show it is running. And the EM iii monitor can track its progress.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Sorry, double-post. :oops:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:44 am

Karlsweldt wrote:And the EM iii monitor can track its progress.

I much prefer FAHMon for showing progress of folding. EM3 seems limited in its support for SMP projects.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team