Question about SMP projects

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Question about SMP projects

Postby MrG » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:56 am

I am running an Intel Core Duo CPU. I have installed the following folding client:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... -mpich.exe

But judging by the Project Summery web page, I'm only getting "normal" work units and not the big SMP ones.

Any ideas?
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Chozo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:26 am

With the version 6.xx and above SMP clients, you have to specify the -smp option every time the client runs. The easiest way to correct this is to reconfigure your client. Delete your client.cfg file and start from the client configuration step in the MPICH SMP client install guide.

There is a possibility that you will have to reinstall the client (out of every 10 times I do this with the SMP client, I usually have to reinstall the client wholly once or twice) but it shouldn't be a problem if you stick to the guide.
Chozo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby MrG » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:23 am

Great, thanks :)
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby MrG » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:47 pm

I finally got around to trying this, but it doesn't work. All I keep getting is a 1067 error when starting the service. :?
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Chozo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:20 pm

Are you trying to install the client as a service? If so, you may want to read this part of the guide.

Since the client will be running as a service, the additional flags must be entered here to make it work in SMP mode. In our case, enter -smp -verbosity 9 -d "C:\FAH" then finish the configuration. The essential piece is the -d "[client path]" where [client path] is the folder where you installed the client (don't forget the quotes). This tell Windows to use the specific path since by default, it will use C:\Windows\System32 as the working folder which cause the client to stop with a 1067 error.
Chozo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby MrG » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Chozo wrote:Are you trying to install the client as a service? If so, you may want to read this part of the guide.

Since the client will be running as a service, the additional flags must be entered here to make it work in SMP mode. In our case, enter -smp -verbosity 9 -d "C:\FAH" then finish the configuration. The essential piece is the -d "[client path]" where [client path] is the folder where you installed the client (don't forget the quotes). This tell Windows to use the specific path since by default, it will use C:\Windows\System32 as the working folder which cause the client to stop with a 1067 error.

I did all of that before posting, but nothing works. 2 distinct problems:
a) The downloaded installer installed the system files into C:\Program Files\Folding@Home SMP Client V1.01, but if I use this path for the -d parameter it errors because the path is too long.

b) If I move the Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe file to a simpler folder e.g. C:\FAH as in the example, I get the 1067 error.

BTW I'm running under Windows Vista.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:46 am

use

"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home SMP Client V1.01"

(with quotes)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrG » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:23 am

evasive wrote:use

"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home SMP Client V1.01"

(with quotes)

As mentioned above, I've already tried that but during the configuration (inside the DOS box) it errors as a bad argument. It actually says "bad argument F" presumably it's falling over on the F of "Files" i.e. it doesn't like spaces or the path is too long.
MrG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Might be some info in this link. Have heard rumors that Vista doesn't like the F@H folder to be in the "Program Files" folder. Maybe creating a "Programs" folder for such other features, or just create a root folder for Folding@Home.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:27 am

Oh no, is that the same short file names bug server2008 is plagued by? For the record, server2008 messes up short file names, some other Microsoft software like SCCM trips over that. Go figure...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team