The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey, it's that one guy!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:01 pm 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Well, it's nice to see that the team is still alive and kicking.

Yeah, I know it's been a while. You can tar and feather me later. It's a long story and not a very good read either. The main thing is i'm back and doing my part, however small that may be. A quick trip to the stats page tells me you guys have been busy. It might take me a few days to catch back up :wink:

Seriously, the team seems to being doing quite well, despite the dismal participation rate. Might have to have another recruiting drive. I'm currently playing around with the GPU-2 and SMP clients. It took me a little while to get used to the parameters again, however it didn't take long for me to figure out that multi-gpu folding on Vista is a royal pain in the ***. The SMP was much easier by comparison.

Anyway, I just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know I'm not dead.....yet :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:30 am 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Great to see you back Doug :) . Yes, there's big points to be had these days.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:44 am 
Black Belt
Black Belt

Welcome back. 8)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:20 pm 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Welcome back!!!

I think it's the SMP's that have given the group the HUGE jump in points per month. Just a few months ago we were lucky to maintain 30,000 points per month. Now we're doing double that - easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Myth wrote:
Welcome back!!!

I think it's the SMP's that have given the group the HUGE jump in points per month. Just a few months ago we were lucky to maintain 30,000 points per month. Now we're doing double that - easy.

Yeah, and the GPU2 client is a massive boost too :) . I've taken down 2/3rd's of my machines but by adding a few reasonably cheap NVidia cards have more than doubled my output....happy days. If we can keep it going then staying in the Top 100 teams isn't going to be a problem.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:38 pm 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Myth wrote:
Welcome back!!!

I finally had to stop using the SMP client. Way too many EUE's and I am not at home 90% of the time to do anything about it. The end result is an idle client that is not doing any good. I am now running 4 instances of the classic client on my quad cores and haven't had any problems at all. You get 4 times the WU's done and in almost the same amount of time for roughly the same amount of points.

And yes, the GPU2 client has added a massive amount of points to our monthly total. No CPU based client even comes close to matching the processing power of the GPU + CUDA architecture. The points gain could be much higher though. Most people are willing to give up a few (in not all) CPU cycles on a machine for a good cause. Not too many are willing to tie up their $200+ video card 24/7.