FAH Problem

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

FAH Problem

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:38 am

On my Vista Tower (Q6600 Quad Core), whenever I have FAH running, it sometimes disconnects from the internet. As in, I can't turn projects in, I can't check my email, and I get disconnected from WoW.

This problem hasn't turned up in any of my other computers, just this one, AND seeing as how this is one of my more powerful computers, I want to get it back to folding. but I can't run the FAH client if I'm just going to keep getting disconnected from the internet (I hate rebooting) (also, If I can't turn in projects for Fah, then what's the point of running Fah?)

Note: I don't know if this is a Vista Problem or a FAH problem, or both. This seems to happen only when Fah is connecting to the internet, and this machine's 'net connection just drops, BUT I could be wrong.
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: FAH Problem

Postby Daft Ada » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 am

iamwhoiamtoday wrote:If I can't turn in projects for Fah, then what's the point of running Fah?
It keeps your CPU hot :lol:

Showing us your log might help us identify the problem.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:00 pm

The file "Fahlog.prev" should have a long list of performance notations.
The "Fahlog.txt" is the current working log file.
Ensure the Firewall program 'fully trusts' and allows 'full access' rights for each WU process. The links are secure. A specific port is required by the F@H submission process.. and may be blocked or monitored by the Firewall program. IP address example: (171.65.103.162:8080) Note the "8080" designation for the port address.
You may also note this error.. "Couldn't send HTTP request to server (wininet)".. which means the OS could not implement the request to open the Web connection paths.

Could also be a bit of "too many users" on a limited ISP connection.. too many request paths at one time.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Don't know if this will help. but, I used see this one of my machines fairly often, just kept disconnecting without any reason that I could see. Not only that but it lost contact with the entire network. After much head scratching I popped in an old LAN card, disabled the onboard in the Bios and that fixed it. If you are running SMP on that machine then its pretty vital to keep the connection going, I've heard that if the Internet is lost then it can lead to problems with SMP.

I don't know any details of your network setup, but I've also found that those USB dongles have a habit of disconnecting under heavy load, especially the really cheapo ones like mine.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby don'tknowmuch » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:38 pm

First you should look here:
http://distributed.org.ua/forum/index.p ... topic=1149
Utility works like Windows® service, and it is completely automatic. Once per 10 minutes Affinity Changer checks to see which cores are assigned FAH SMP processes, and if needed, reassigns them evenly, 2 processes for double-core cpu, and 1 process for each core for Quad (4-cores processor).
Check your network adapter settings, Network Adapter reset to "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power", should be unticked.
When closing the client use Ctrl-c, wait about 10 minutes (use task manager to be sure the cores have shut down), I re-install "install Bat file"
from where the client files reside, usually "Program Files", before I restart the client. You also need to install the client in a different directory than the programs folder because vista has extra security there.
There is also something to be said for the fact that this client is still in beta and these issues hopefully will be fixed soon, as for now we all have to put up with the issues. :D
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team