2 things

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

2 things

Postby whiteboy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Part of the deal with me building my new desktop, my girlfriend got a new laptop. Has a AMD athlon 64 x2 duel core tk-57 1.9 GHz. When I'm running F@H console it shows as using 50% of the CPU. Is this normal? not use to anything with more then one core so its kind of new to me on how they work. Would like to figure this out before my Phenom gets here on thursday so I know how to figure that out.

Also everytime I restart the laptop it restarts the WU from beginning I've had this happen twice now and each time the wu was around 17% done. Any help is needed
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby wullger » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Normal work units will only show as using 50% of the CPU on a dual core chip like the X2, so yes, this is normal :)

The only thing I can think of (some of the other more experienced folders may be able to help you more on this) is to use the -local flag when you start folding, to try and keep your units from starting over. You might also consider running folding as a service :D
wullger
Initiate
Initiate

Postby whiteboy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:41 pm

it is running as service and I can try adding the local flag later.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:09 am

There are user commands that can assist the F@H process.
http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html

You enter the process using a command-line prompt.. such as [F@H504-console -config], which you then respond to inputs with desired features. Normally, a 90% priority usage is configured. The F@H process will readily cede to any other program needs as they arise. Having a 50% rating of core usage is not uncommon.. but low. With a laptop, the CPU has a special configuration for energy savings.. running data cycles only as needed.
Background programming must also be included in the CPU usage.

I prefer to launch the F@H consoles as a non-service entity. That way if I ever need to completely close them down, they will do so.. whereas with a service-launch configuration, they will never close down entirely until the system goes into shut-down.
A link can be added in the "Start-up" sector of the menu to automatically launch the processes.
I run two instances of F@H on my setup. Each process is in a separately named folder, on different partitions.. and each is uniquely named. No conflicts between them.

In the F@H folder, there is a file named [client.cfg] which is the program's operating guide. It can be edited using Notepad, but only if you are experienced.. or the prescribed listings may cause program corruption. And do so only when the program is shut down. Do not alter any non-Alpha or Numeric characters!
Here is a listing of my configurations.. also including the EM iii Monitor settings. It is advisable to make a backup of this file, as [client-cfg.bak] before any alterations! That way you simply copy the backup file to its original name, and all is as-was, if any problems have been created.
[settings]
username=Karlsweldt
team=33258
asknet=yes
machineid=3
local=161
bigpackets=yes

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=yes
proxy_name=
proxy_passwd=

[graphics]
drawgap=174
drawtitle=1
drawlogos=1
logourl=
subtitle=F@H for Motherboards.org
drawmode=2

[core]
priority=96
cpuusage=97
disableassembly=no
checkpoint=15
ignoredeadlines=no

[clienttype]
type=2
memory=512
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby wullger » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:32 am

That 50% usage would be normal on an X2 chip. The folding process can only use 1 core, but windows interprets that as 50%, rather than "100% of core 1 or core 2".

Services can always be stopped from the Services Control Panel :) Start>Run>"services.msc".
wullger
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Any X2 CPU can run two instances of folding using the console. Here's how I do it. Create 2 new folders and name them Folding@Home and Folding@Home2. Then I copy the console version into each folder, yes just the one file. Then I create new shortcuts on the desktop for each of the 2 files and add the flags -local -config -forceasm. The -local flag is essential the others are are not needed, but can come in handy. Then I run the first shortcut. At this stage you enter things like your name, team name and if you want big units. etc. Once this is running and I've grabbed a unit I then move onto the second short cut. The procedure is the same with one important difference.....when I come to the part where it asks me if you wish to change the advanced settings, type in yes and after a few more questions you'll reach the machine ID setting and here you must type in 2 (or any number from 2 to 8). Like Karl, I prefer to run mine from the desktop rather than as a service or from the start up menu. This is mainly because I'm constantly juggling the flags about :)

Also everytime I restart the laptop it restarts the WU from beginning I've had this happen twice now and each time the wu was around 17% done. Any help is needed

Restarts of WU's are usually, but not always, caused by incorrect shutdowns. I would have a look at the log really to see if there's anything obvoius. A few things I do are, always press Ctl-C to close down folding, let it write to disk anything it needs to do, 10 seconds should be enough. Check that laptops File System as well, both of mine came with Fat32, converting them to NTFS improves your chances of not having WU's restart from Zero by several hundred percent.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:05 am

In Administrative Tools/Computer Management, there is the Event Viewer. Expand that branch to find the 'system' page. It will list every instance of a start/stop process, as well as any unusual events.. even when a system restarted due to an auto-update or otherwise. The file may be very large!

Yes, I found that a non-service launch is best for the F@H processes. They can be closed down completely, if ever needed. Where as for a service launch type, they will never close completely.. unless the system is in a shut-down process. Each program install will have your user name and team name, plus a unique machine ID # and registration #. If dual processes are on one computer, there would be machine #1 and machine #2 noted. Identical if another computer has a similar setup, but each program's registration # would be different.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team