building old folding box

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

building old folding box

Postby whiteboy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:29 am

currently pulled out an old system tha i'm setting up for folding. again. specs are as follows according to pcwizard 2007:

mobo:
trigem cognac
Phoenix BOS ver 3.07
intel I810 chipset

Processor:
Celeron 600 coppermine

64Megs ram

8Gig Quantum bigfoot TX8

has WIN98 working on it now. What would be best for folding? leaving 98 on it and runing either the GUI or Concole version? Or installig linux and running that. Also what can I do to speed this old gal up? I know parts are hard to find for the age but i do have some old parts laying around i can mix match. Might as well get some us out of them.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:29 am

You need another 64mb Ram. Not sure about which O/S to run as I know nothing about Linux but I definitely go for The Console version.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby whiteboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:11 pm

is more ram important for folding speed? i have the the gui 4.0 interface running on it now and its already 10% of project 3044 in the 2 days i download it, machine has only been on maybe 16 hours a day. i figure a speed increase for the console version, just don't know ram helps considing the cpu does the work.
4 gigs ram
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:01 pm

Every WU has different memory requirements. If you don't have enough then the work will swap out to Hard Disk and that'll slow things down. What is true is that a machine with 2gb folding a WU requiring 256mb won't be any faster than a machine with 512mb....but it will be faster than a machine with 128mb.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:38 am

Windows 98 is still acceptable for the F@H process.. but isn't as efficient as W2K or XP. A definite need to increase system memory to at least 128 Mb or better still 256 Mb.. as the OS may capture almost all of that 64 Mb by itself.
Win 98 is officially 'abandoned' by MS, as is ME. W2K and XP are still viable for several more years.. unless MS deems otherwise. The Console version of operation is preferred, and you can easily run two processes with W2K where W98 may be overwhelmed with two processes. Just ensure that each process is in its own uniquely-named folder.
There are still many NOS copies of Win 2000 Pro available. Look for the notice that there is included the COA and that it hasn't been activated or registered.
Any CPU of 1 Ghz or so should do fairly well as a basic folder.. so long as there is decent L2 cache memory. Very low cache memory means a lot of repeat re-reads of the programming for instruction sets.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby whiteboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:01 am

So less OS in ram is vital. I know 98 is old of date but it was still on the HD. heck I pulled the thing out of the back of my moms closet were its been sitting for about 4 years or so. if Linux uses less ram for the OS guess its time to switch it over.
4 gigs ram
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 am

System memory is the only "arena" in which all programming operates. The hard drive is only a repository for files.. and reference of them. Every function is from a memory page.. up to 8x or better access speed than the fastest hdd setup.
The more recent an OS version, the more complex and memory-hungry it becomes. What was once more than ample memory for the basic command-prompt mode (16 Mb) is less than 1/10th the amount needed for the most basic of loading with today's OS versions. Linux still is the "Slim Jim" in this class. Have seen many setups with only 16 Mb of memory and Win 95 is installed.. but takes ages to page and load. Windows 2000 can load into 128 Mb of memory, but will be stifled. Minimal recommended is 256 Mb.
The F@H processes may take up to 64 megs of memory space for each operation.. depending on complexity of the process.
For a 'decently' efficient setup, not less than 512 Mb of memory is required. Win98 may still be viable, but doesn't work nicely with greater than 512 Mb of system memory.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:29 pm

With only 64MB ram forget about 2000 or XP, they use too much memory. Win98 will run ok - especially if you slim it down (98 lite). Putting a slimline Linux console on there is your best option. Some time back I set up a USB memory stick that would boot straight into Linux and start folding, to maintain it I would just telnet in. This way I didnt need a hard drive/monitor/keyboard which reduces noise and use of power/space.

Ideally though I'd find out what ram the mobo supports and try to scrounge some more from somewhere.

In terms of getting extra performance some of the celes from that era are very good overclockers. I'd rather have a coppermine PIII in there though, I used to fold with my old P3-650 @ 900Mhz and it was suprisingly quick. It was turning around almost as many points as a 2Ghz P4! I think the magic was the BX mobo, they were fantasticly fast when the FSB was pushed up to 133Mhz and beyond.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:50 am

Older mobos may only recognize single-density or low-density memory types.. and show (and access) only half the amount of double-density or high-density modules. That could be problems in the making. There also were limits as to the amount of memory per module.
The ancient PC-66 type module is very scarce.. but PC 100 or PC 133 may clock down and be very stable.
Many of those older Socket 370 and Slot 1 setups were limited with the range of processor types.. and may only go out to 600 MHz in the P III category.. due to the core voltage not being recognized below 2.05 volts.

That old "Bigfoot" drive may survive for a while longer, but they aren't noted for great life. Once it starts to sound like a coffee grinder, its life is about to end!
The maximum hdd size was around 20 Gb.. depending on BIOS date. A BIOS flash may allow it to recognize larger hdd capacity, up to 40 Gb.. if partitioned. Possibly also different memory types than originally, also.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:37 pm

I forgot to mention I had to voltmod the PIII coppermine cpu to get it to work in my old BX mobo due to Vcore regognition issues.
However this isnt an issue for whiteboy as all the coppermine celes are socket 370 1.5->1.75V
Last edited by Twisty on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team