2 consoles as a service

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

2 consoles as a service

Postby whiteboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:59 am

I know that I have to install F@H into 2 differnet folders so I can run 2 copys, But can you run both of them as a service. I have a copy running now as a service and the second copy is configure the same way just changed the folder name and machine id, but it doesnt start up as a service at all. i have to go into the folder and start it it. would like to get this working sincew my aunt let me install it on her system. i am assuming its a duel core casue in task manger the first one starts in service and it shows up as only using 50% cpu. its a dell 5520 if someone wants to look up the specs.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:21 am

They can be run as a service feature, or as a manually launched feature. But it is important that each process have its own unique folder name, and service link.
I have run two instances of the Console client on my setup(s) for years. No problems. I do launch the processes manually, as I may wish to "clear the stadium" when needed, for other intensive programming (games). If launched as a service feature, the process will never shut down completely until the OS does.
Create a start link for each process on the desktop, and link them into the "startup" box of the start menu.
If you use the EMiii monitor program, launch it after both processes have begun.. and close it before closing the processes. Or just set the EMiii as the main controlling factor, and right-click on the protein panel.. select 'suspend' before closing. And it may need to be 'unsuspended' when next launched.
May not have to be this involved, but not nice to have a WU more than half finished.. and restart entirely due to a corrupt shutdown.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Sabrewings » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Can't find any info on a "5520" from Dell. Might want to check the model number.

Also, just because it's only showing 50% CPU usage doesn't mean its dual core. Could be hyperthreaded. In that case it's best to run only one instance.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby whiteboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:18 pm

yeah i tried looking also...guess i have to call my aunt later and double check. i was going off memory. but if it is dual core can two services be running at the same time. she's afraid that if she see's the icon on the taskbar she'll close it and not knowing what it was.
4 gigs ram
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Sabrewings » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Yes, you can run dual services. Each just needs its own folder. When you configure them initially, make sure you run the -local flag. After that they can start normally.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby whiteboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:22 pm

guess i need to double check the settings...each are in different folder. flags are -local -service, each have different id# adn when i ran config i select to start as service on both. when i restrarted only onle of them start as service and the other run didn't start at all.
4 gigs ram
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby whiteboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:24 pm

and if this is a dual core, do you think SMP will be better to run or just stick to the 2 regular ones?
4 gigs ram
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team