installing on a linux machine

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

installing on a linux machine

Postby whiteboy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:53 pm

These questions are more or less pointing to the linux side of the folding team.

I want to start setting up a couple of systems using linux ( have a copy of redhat ver9 shrike laying around) and I need help with installing everything. I assumeing that to save resource for folding a console version of linux will be better then a graphical side of it. Here is a short list of questions i have.

1) assuming i get linux install right where it is a console OS, how to i go about getting F@H.
A) I can download to my XP desktop and pull the file that way to install but how?
B) or i can download it directly from the console into the linux box and install it, again how do i do that?

2)any tips on setting it up to get the most out of the box ( in the process of banging the parts together so dont have specs yet)

3)I only have one router at the time that is hooking up my server, desktop, and laptop. I do have an old hub that i can use if i have to.
A) will my router automaticly assign 3 seprate ips thru the hub or do i need to...
B) set up manual ip addresses on the boxs and how can i do that.

4) I'm not planning on setting up any type of monitor or keyboards to these boxs after i get them running, so is it easy to set up F@HMON to see these and how would i do it.

thats it for now..slowing moving back into the folding game
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:04 am

Stanford provides a console version of F@H for Linux. A graphical version for Linux is not provided.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinConsoleInstall
LINUX CONSOLE MODE SOFTWARE

We provide a console mode version of the client, similar to the console version for Windows. There are no fancy graphics -- it simply sits in the background running at lowest priority and making use of the CPU cycles not being used by other processes. The latest Linux version can be found at http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html.

To launch: To use this program, make sure that you can execute it (chmod +x FAH5-Linux.exe) and then run it ./FAH5-Linux.exe

More information:

wiki page http://fahwiki.net/index.php/Running_the_FAH_client_on_Linux
console userguide provides details on the various command line flags supported. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Console-userguide
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:32 am

Welcome to Folding! 8)

1) assuming i get linux install right where it is a console OS, how to i go about getting F@H.

I think it's best to put your Linux computer together, get it up and running and connected to the internet. Then use its' Linux web browser to visit Stanford to download F@H for Linux. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

A) I can download to my XP desktop and pull the file that way to install but how?
B) or i can download it directly from the console into the linux box and install it, again how do i do that?

Please see my previous answer.

2)any tips on setting it up to get the most out of the box ( in the process of banging the parts together so dont have specs yet)

According to the FAQ page, F@H requires a minimum of 64MB of RAM. To produce results in a timely fashion, Stanford suggests using a system that isn't more than 3 to 4 years old. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ

3)I only have one router at the time that is hooking up my server, desktop, and laptop. I do have an old hub that i can use if i have to.
A) will my router automaticly assign 3 seprate ips thru the hub or do i need to...
B) set up manual ip addresses on the boxs and how can i do that.

Answer to "A": This depends upon the capabilities of your router and hub. Can you arrange your network in a path system that flows from your Internet Service Provider to your Router and then to your Hub and then the Hub splits the pathways to individual computers?

Anser to "B": It's okay to have each computer obtain it's I.P. address automatically, but you can set-up the network to use manual/static I.P. addresses if you feel it is important.

4) I'm not planning on setting up any type of monitor or keyboards to these boxs after i get them running, so is it easy to set up F@HMON to see these and how would i do it.

After you use the monitor & keyboard & mouse to interface with your Linux machine and get everything running properly, I imagine you could install F@H-MON and access the Linux machine remotely via your other computer(s) through your Local Area Network. Since I have yet to do this, I don't have specific 'how-to' answers for you.
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:45 am

Stanford frowns upon any "middleman" transfers of WUs. Best to have the new system set up, connected to the Internet, anti-virus and Firewall active, then DL the F@H console version for that OS platform. After setting the 'flags' for the desired routines, then the program will register to a server and obtain WUs and work them. Your choice as to "ask/don't ask" when connections are desired for process updates or submission of finished work.
Here is a link to the Console setup guide: http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html

If you intend to run more than one instance of F@H on one setup, ensure that each program is named differently.. in different folders.. to ensure unique properties. Folding@Home1 and Folding@Home2 or similar are acceptable. The processes will be kept separate and not combined, even if the programs and WUs are identical. Your machine# and serial # are unique to each process, even if your user name is the same (which it should be!).
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: installing on a linux machine

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:15 pm

whiteboy wrote:4) I'm not planning on setting up any type of monitor or keyboards to these boxs after i get them running, so is it easy to set up F@HMON to see these and how would i do it.

I presume you are going to run it from your Windows machine? It's very easy to setup, just download the installer version and it does most things for you. To get it to monitor machines just click on the empty box and add from there with the Name you want to give it and the directory path. I know absolutely zilch about Linux but I think you can monitor Linux machines from Windows. All FAHMON does is read the log file and calculates finishing times and Points Per Day from that and of course gives you a display to look at. :) Very good utility.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:05 pm

When setting up any autonomous computer, it first must be configured using a keyboard. Once the BIOS settings have been configured to ignore the lack of a keyboard, mouse or monitor, plus allowing a self-start in case of power loss, then after shut-down you can forget the GUI devices. The OS and any required programming would need installing before you "cut the umbilical".
And don't forget to set the Remote Administrator Policy needs.. so only a designated person with passwords can access the systems. A type of remote alert would be nice, to ensure that any problems are warned of to a "monitor" station.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Smurfcorpse » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:39 pm

I have a few boxes folding with Linux.
The first thing I'd do is get a newer copy of Linux.
Fedora (open source version of Red Hat) and Ubuntu are two common distros. I think both are pretty user friendly. I have heard of others but I know those two the best. If you really want to learn a little about Linux don't install a GUI (graphical user interface) and go total command line.
I don't use a GUI on mine. If the PC is a dedicated folder than I would just use a command line and not bother to install a desktop. A desktop will use more system resources.

I have Samba set up on the Linux box with my FAH directory as a share. I copied the download Linux console version and moved it to the folder but the PC sends and gets work directly from Stanford. I don't even have monitors or keyboards connected to them any more.

When I want to check up on folding I go to the folder on my network and open the log file.

I have one router. Linux boxes are in my nice cool basement. One very long Cat 5 cable runs from the router to a 20 port hub in the basement. All PCs automatically get there IP's from the router.
It's always funny until someone loses an Operating System!
Smurfcorpse
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team