Setting up for 2 cores...

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Setting up for 2 cores...

Postby SkyWlf77 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi all...

We have a Dual Xeon server at my work. Both Xeon CPU's are Dual-Core making a total of 4 cores. We never use more than 30% of this available power. Therefore, I got permission to install Folding@Home on this server, but with the following requirements:

1) ONLY 2 instances -- this way the other two cores are always available for use by the company

2) ONLY as long as this does not result in open windows on the taskbar -- This way someone doesn't accidentally close one and run into possible stability issues

So, my question is this: How do I go about setting up 2 instances of Folding@Home on this server with no open windows?

It is running Windows Server 2003...

I've never set up anything other than a single-instance graphical setup.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
My Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=48800

System 1: 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4, 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM, 1x500GB HDD & 1x1TB HDD, Palit GTS 250 1GB
System 2: 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, 120GB HDD, BFG 7800GTX 256MB
System 3: Dual-533MHz PowerMac G4 Digital Audio, 1.5GB RAM, 120GB HDD
SkyWlf77
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Daft Ada » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:34 am

1. Download 2 copies (or download it once and copy the file in Windows) of the Console Version of FAH. Here is the direct link: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... onsole.exe

2. Create 2 separate Windows folders e.g. FAH1 and FAH2

3. Run the downloaded program from both folders e.g. FAH1 and FAH2 to install 2 instances.

4. During the installation you will be asked if you want to install the program as a Windows Service, you must choose Yes. This will run folding within Windows as a service without the need to open any Windows.

5. When the installation is complete, double check things in your Windows Task Manager, to ensure the FAH programs are running, since there is no opened Windows or other visual evidence, the Windows Task Manager is the best place to check if the program is actually running.

There are some additional tweaks we can play with later, but let's get you started first.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:36 am

Don't forget to add the -local flag. When configuring it on the first launch make sure you go into the advanced settings and set the Machine ID's as 1 and 2, or should that be 1 and 3 (see below)

Just curious, but how do you know that both instances will be running on the same core and not one instance on each core???

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Daft Ada » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:45 am

Pette Broad wrote:Just curious, but how do you know that both instances will be running on the same core and not one instance on each core???

Pete

When I use my Intel Hyperthreader I can set the Affinity to either CPU 0 or CPU 1, so I am able to give each thread 1 copy of FAH each. Is it safe to assume the same applies to multi cores, or am I wrong?

When using SMP on my Core 2 laptop, I only ran once instance and the program itself handled the work load distribution.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby SkyWlf77 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:56 am

Hi, guys...

Thanks for the awesome information! I'll work on getting this set up on Monday and see how it goes. I'm not 100% sure how the Server OS will react to this, so I may end up needing help setting permissions for Folding to run.

I wish they'd allow me to run the SMP client, but no dice since it'll use all 4 cores. I can't quite get them to understand that Folding backs off when the power is needed--They're not from the US, so I was kinda lucky they allowed what they did...

Are there any flags besides "-local" that I should use for the Xeons?

Thanks,
Jason

System 1: 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4, 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM, 1x500GB HDD & 1x1TB HDD, Palit GTS 250 1GB
SkyWlf77
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:16 am

Maybe by saying that the program willingly recedes to the background, giving priority to all other needed programming. It only takes what CPU usage is not in service at any other time.
For a list of console commands and usage, see here.. http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby wullger » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:54 pm

I'll take a look at the config files on some of my dual and quad Xeon boxes and see if I can be of any help :)
wullger
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Pette Broad » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:23 pm

SkyWlf77 wrote:Are there any flags besides "-local" that I should use for the Xeons?

Thanks,
Jason

Believe it or not that's a really difficult question to answer. The problem is that The Pande Group who control which WU's are dished out are constantly moving the goalposts. I could say to you "add the advmethods flag because today they are dishing out juicy units" but by the time you read the post the servers could well have been switched, so the advmethods will get you something really loooong and slow. It's the same with configuring your machines for BigWU's. Most times you'll get 500 pointer 24xx units or maybe 26xx....but there are times when you'll get one of the dreaded "Tethered" or "Pope" units which take an age, or even worse one of those Gromacs33 1100 pointers that'll take you a couple of weeks. If you have no flags at all then you'll get a variety of units ranging from Double Gromacs (Good), GBGromacs (O.K) to Plain Gromacs (Bad). Joining the Beta Team will give you a few more options but its not going to ensure you get Big points. Quite often the units on test fail to complete or the points are undervalued.

Right now I would say BigWU's would be the way to go, but keep in mind.

#1...It's Christmas and if Stanford's servers go down, they'll stay down for The Christmas period.

#2... The BigWU servers are always going down :(

#3.... If your machine is not physically present then if #2 happens you'll have no work.

Good luck :) :)

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby SkyWlf77 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi y'all...

Thanks for all the great information!

I ended up just setting it up with the -local flag only so that the unit would get plenty of work regardless of what servers were down or up.

It took a little bit to figure out the permissions on the Server OS, but I couldn't post here thanks to the whole FireFox issue with this site. I just found the posting that said to use IE (I forget I even have IE since I never use it).

Come to find out, my bosses are idiots and don't even know what systems they are running. This is not a Dual-Dual-Core Xeon setup, but a Dual-Xeon HyperThreaded setup instead (I ran CPU-Z to find this out). So, I am running only one instance of Folding@Home on this machine for the time being.

Thanks!
Jason

SkyWlf77
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby wullger » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:33 am

What issues are you having with Firefox and this site? I use it exclusively.
wullger
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team