A couple of things

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

A couple of things

Postby whiteboy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:54 am

in the matter of wu's. when i started folding again a few days ago i download 1500 wu to my desktop (AMD Athlon XP 2500+) and a 4000 wu to my laptop (mobile AMD Athlon XP2800+) both are still crunching on data. the desktop hasn't been used since i downloaded the wu execpt to check check on the status. the laptop is only used maybe a few hours a day to browse the net. are these normal size wu now? if i remember i used to fold wu n my desktop a couple of years ago in about a day and a half, now the its saying it will finsh in about a week after i started it. both are the gui interface. what can i do to speed up the process and would it be better to just use the console version?

second thing...

i have some old point of sale machines that came from my old place of work. i know that the old specs on folding are based on a 450mhz cpu. i can tweak them out to about 500-700 with about 64+ram on them with about 2-4gig HDs in them( have a total of 5 but thinging i can only get 3-4 working). I want to set them up for a slow folding farm but have a few questions about them.

1.) What OS to use? i have my old DOS disks up thru xp pro and a couple versions of linux laying around i can use. i'm assuming to get the most out of these i would not want to use graphical programs so i'm leaning towards linux or dos.

2.)these systems were on a network and have built in nic. is there anyway to install the software (a OS and F@H) form over the network. They dont have cd-roms and only two have floppys (Who uses floppys anymore anyways) i can open them up and hook up a cdrom if i have to but no room to leave one in.

3.) is there anyway to moniter the system and see what they are doing and remotely control the system from on a network. I don't want to keep on hooking up keyboards and a monitor to check on the status of the machines or go and buy a KVM ( i have to unhook my monitor from my desktop anyways to get them setup)

4.) anything else that i might have miss i will post but i am open to other ideas. if they cant handle F@H i know that i had Seti on them before so I can do that as well if i have to with the same setup involved
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:37 am

Windows 2000 Pro or XP would be the best OS platform to use. Even Linux versions. System memory should be no less than 512 Mb, better yet 1 Gb. The extensions for SSE will help in more rapid processing of WUs. Same too if there is a HT or multi-core feature with the CPU.
Yes, it would be better to use the Console version of the F@H process. more user interaction, and you set its features as needed. http://folding.stanford.edu/ is the primary link for info/FAQs/ downloads for the versions. While there is still use of Win 98 as an OS alternative, previous OS platforms are no longer acceptable.

It is part of the agreement from Stanford that the F@H processes be installed only on systems that are permitted to have them. If you own the Administrative rights and equipment of such networked setups, it should be no problem.
Ensure that each system has an active, up-to-date anti-virus and Firewall program, and that each would have access to the Internet via either an ISP or dedicated port. Or that a master server can handle routings.
It would be more convenient to have a KVM setup controlling several systems.. less expense of monitor, keyboard and mouse equipment.
Set the BIOS pages of each system according to specific needs.
There are KVM switches that can accommodate up to 12 or more units.
If you have a lot of computers, it may be prudent to have a dedicated power line installed for them, running a 240 volt source instead of a 120 volt source. Figure on about 150 watts to 200 watts per computer, when operating. Don't employ screen saver images when the systems are working. Use the 'blank screen' setting instead.

With upgrades of CPU to some systems, you have to consider the limit of the CPU used. Some older mobos won't accept newer processors. A BIOS update may help, but not always.

Good luck with your venture! Keep us posted on progress.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby redeye53 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:06 am

If you take those old machines and set them up to do work units without deadlines they'll fold just fine under windows or linux. Just remember there are times when there aren't any of those units available. It looks like they are on server 133 and it's status right now is full so have at it!
Set the machines up one by one on the same workgroup and when they start folding disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse and control them from your main machine.
redeye53
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby whiteboy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 pm

red:..would you recomand windows (what ver.) or linux? and how would i go about controling them from a main machine. i know that to save resources i only want to install a os and f@h. the less i can put on the hd and the less in ram would be better.
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:03 pm

redeye53 wrote:If you take those old machines and set them up to do work units without deadlines they'll fold just fine under windows or linux. Just remember there are times when there aren't any of those units available. It looks like they are on server 133 and it's status right now is full so have at it!

Full describes the status of the server. It means that it is both accepting returned units and sending out new units, it does not mean that the server is full of work. The sad fact is that there have been no units without deadlines since June 2006 and my guess is that we won't see any more ever again :(

Units have gone up in size and at the moment the smallest units are the 304x units which should take under 50 hours. The main problem is that its really difficult to manipulate the servers to get what you want. The settings that get you juicy units one day will get you long boring stuff the next day. The most productive pointswise setting is to set the client to pickup BigWU's, providing you have 1gb Ram.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:12 pm

would it be better to just use the console version?

Yes, much better to use the console these days.

3.) is there anyway to moniter the system and see what they are doing and remotely control the system from on a network. I don't want to keep on hooking up keyboards and a monitor to check on the status of the machines or go and buy a KVM ( i have to unhook my monitor from my desktop anyways to get them setup)

There's FAHMON which can monitor all of your machines. Just do a google search for it.

1.) What OS to use? i have my old DOS disks up thru xp pro and a couple versions of linux laying around i can use. i'm assuming to get the most out of these i would not want to use graphical programs so i'm leaning towards linux or dos.

Doesn't work under Dos but Linux works fine.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:54 am

Running any computer setup without an anti-virus or Firewall program is like a 'free buffet' to hackers and viral purveyors! Only if the main server they all route through has such programs and access restrictions, could they be considered secure otherwise.
There are still "new" copies of Windows 2000 and XP available on Web sites.. with the COA and notation if they have not been registered or installed previously. You might save some money by getting a 'station' license with sufficient COAs to cover your needs.
Any OS prior to Windows 98 is not acceptable for doing F@H processes. Same with a lot of older Mac OS platforms.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team