SMP Usage Requirements?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:13 am

Hey, Jason.. Great wishes for the Holiday Season to you and all!

The system I use as a semi-dedicated 'folder' uses a Northwood P4 @ 2.8 GHz. with the HT feature on an 800 MHz FSB. When left to its own means, it has no problem turning in WUs well before their minimal deadline. But when I 'surf' or do other tasks, then the WUs may drag on a bit longer.. but still have good return times. I don't do gaming on this rig.. but why fire up the other rig for surfing, when this one is running?
The cost for electric power varies greatly by region. Here, it is about thirteen cents per KWH! Thanks, you greedy commodity marketers! :x

There are many options to configuring the F@H process to run most efficiently. A screen-saver will waste CPU cycles. Use the 'blank-screen' method for best efficiency. Setting the CPU usage to around 95% will allow maximum CPU cycle use, but not incur excessive heat issues.

Having an OS that will recognize and utilize a multi-core or multi-processor setup is vital to high efficiency and performance. Of course, having sufficient memory quota in the build also is critical.

A decisive factor in the expeditious completion of any WU is how many background programs are active.. and take away those CPU cycles that otherwise could be put into effect for the intended purpose.
Not to forget that a large L2 cache level in the CPU means fewer trips back to the program for instruction sets!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby SkyWlf77 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:22 am

Hi, redeye...

Well, maybe my system might make it. Next question: Is Windows 2000 Advanced Server supported by F@H?

Hi, Karl...

My semi-dedicated Folder is "System 1" in my Sig. I run it at 100% since I'm not worried about heat. Folding only gets paused when I game on here. Our electricity only runs 6.3cents/KWH as we get a discount because our home is all-electric.

I don't run a screen saver (I turn my monitor off and on as needed and it has a built-in timer shutdown in case I forget where it turns itself off).

Windows 2000 Advanced Server will recognize up to 4 cores or separate CPU's, so I'm good there. Just not sure if F@H will run on the Server OS...

Thanks,
Jason
My Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=48800

System 1: 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4, 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM, 1x500GB HDD & 1x1TB HDD, Palit GTS 250 1GB
System 2: 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, 120GB HDD, BFG 7800GTX 256MB
System 3: Dual-533MHz PowerMac G4 Digital Audio, 1.5GB RAM, 120GB HDD
SkyWlf77
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:13 am

I don't see why the Windows 2000 Advanced Server version wouldn't be recommended for F@H. It is somewhat more 'sophisticated' and refined than the base W2K Pro version. More and better features. Should be able to handle many multiple threads and processes without faltering.
I launch my Console clients as a non-service type. That way I can shut them down completely, when desired. If launched as a service-type, they may not fully close as needed.
Service-launched processes rarely show on the Task Bar.
If you wish the processes to auto-launch on powering up, simply add links to the "startup' part of the Start Menu. I have desktop links for each process.. and the EMiii launches from the "Start" first page. Nice to have the least amount of background processes running, when deciding to do intensive gaming.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby redeye53 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:52 am

We support three operating systems: Windows, Mac OSX/Intel, and 64-bit Linux. We are working to port to 32-bit Linux and hope to have that ready to beta test soon. The Windows version of the client has recently been released and runs under both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

Jason:
This is under the FAQ's on the SMP client at Stanford. It says 2000, XP or Vista so I'd say it most likely would under the server versions of 2000. 2003 takes a little more tweaking with permissions but I've gotten pretty much everything that will run under 2000 or XP to run on it :) Ed
redeye53
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:30 am

O.K, I decided to give SMP a go on one of my machines. Just before XMas I added the -oneunit flag to most of my machines as I wouldn't have time during the holiday period to mess around with them. Therefore I've got a number of machines all ready for SMP. So far, its looking pretty good on the one machine I'm running it on. 23 minutes per frame on an 5200+ which means I can easily make the deadline. I'll see how it goes on this machine before I add any more though and I'll look to bring more online during January, can't do it sooner due to a technical issue I have with my Internet connection. Looking at the PPD for SMP units 20-30k per day looks very possible :D

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:55 am

Stanford will love that!
Wonder if there would be a conflict if several machines attempt to submit WUs simultaneously to the same server.. would it (the server) interpret a type of "attack"?
Yes, each "machine" setup does have a unique serial number, part of a 3-point check for authenticity.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:04 am

So far, so good :) . I completed my first SMP unit overnight and everything looks O.K. I've decided to press on and add a couple more machines, in fact I've already done it :) . Looking at the frame times for my 4600+ which are bang on 30 minutes I don't see any problems with making the final deadline even with an 8 hour nightly shutdown. I estimate that 40 minutes per frame would be the limit to meet the deadlines with the shutdown but to be on the safe side I'll set my limit to 38 minutes. I'm not that certain my 4200+ machines will be able to do frametimes that'll get them inside the limit but I'll look into it soon.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm

I remember reading on Stanford's website that they don't recommend SMP for dual core CPUs (only two threads total, in the system). They recommended at least four cores in the system... :?
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daft Ada » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:10 pm

Sabrewings wrote:I remember reading on Stanford's website that they don't recommend SMP for dual core CPUs (only two threads total, in the system). They recommended at least four cores in the system... :?
Yes! SMP was designed with Quad in mind, but Dual works ok if it's fast enough. I had a 2.33Ghz Dual working fine with SMP a few months ago. I suspect anything over 2Ghz with a Dual would work.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:13 pm

Sabrewings wrote:I remember reading on Stanford's website that they don't recommend SMP for dual core CPUs (only two threads total, in the system). They recommended at least four cores in the system... :?

Well, as far as I can see I can easily make the deadlines on all of the Dual Cores I'm using. Even my Merom Dual Core T5600 Laptop does it with amazing ease. The only fly in the ointment as I see it is the server availability, if the server goes down for 24 hours then you risk overruning the deadline. I won't be running these for an indefinite period, probably a month to six weeks, just depends on what else is available.

This is from The SMP Faq.

How many cores do I need to run this? What types of CPUs?

In the beta test, we are strongly recommending that this code be run on 4-core boxes, although it can be run on 2-core boxes with reasonable performance. The code does best on Core 2 Duo/Woodcrest class chips and we recommend these systems (new iMacs, Mac Pro's, etc).

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team