Passkeys: Copy & Paste into a command prompt

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Passkeys: Copy & Paste into a command prompt

Postby Daft Ada » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:25 pm

No! This is not off-topic, please do not move!

I'm trying to install v6 of the FAH client and add a passkey which was never used before in v5. I've got an emailed passkey from Stanford and am all set to go, but how can I copy and paste it from the email to the command prompt configuration? :?

Using the usual right-click in the command prompt does nothing and the Ctrl+V & Ctrl+C is also useless.

What am I doing wrong?

If I resort to manually typing the passkey, I'm going to be here all night, it's huge!
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:59 pm

Have you tried the old-fashioned Alt+F then P key sequences? You should be able to copy it by simply highlighting the string, choose 'copy' then using the keystroke sequence.
What OS platform is used.. the true command-prompt mode is not available with XP.
Maybe you have to start the process with the similar method for the standard Console setup? {FAH504-console -configonly} or however the Console command is named.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daft Ada » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Have you tried the old-fashioned Alt+F then P key sequences?
No I've never seen that before. I might try it if I can't figure things out.

Karlsweldt wrote:You should be able to copy it by simply highlighting the string, choose 'copy' then using the keystroke sequence.
Yes but it doesn't work.

Karlsweldt wrote:What OS platform is used.. the true command-prompt mode is not available with XP.
Whether it's "true" or "false" Windows XP does have a command prompt window in which I am trying to run the console installer for FAH.

Karlsweldt wrote:Maybe you have to start the process with the similar method for the standard Console setup? {FAH504-console -configonly} or however the Console command is named.
That's exactly what I am doing.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 pm

Will have to look into that new console version tomorrow.
Has been a feature of all OS versions and DOS.. you 'copy' a character string or text passage, and you can 'paste' it using the Alt+F then P keystroke sequence.
I use Total Commander from www.ghisler.com/ which is great for file management/editing/creating. It has a prompt box so you can type in commands in normal manner. You can create a file very easily, if need be.. or even edit non-standard configuration files.
When bringing up the older console in -configonly mode, it will ask you for input on how you want it set up. You choose the Y/N or desired amount proposed.

Right now, the woodpile is huge.. and that chainsaw is purring...
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Daft Ada » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:54 am

This is insanely, mind bogglingly stupid, but I fixed it :roll:

I was running the console installer from within Windows and it then opens itself into a command prompt window. Here I was having problems with the copy and paste nonsense.

Finally, I tried running it manually from a command line i.e. "Start->Run->CMD", and for some reason by doing this, the copy and paste works as expected.

I'm totally baffled, but problem solved.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:27 am

Most times, the simple process is the desired one!

Did a DL of the newer Version 6 Beta for the x86 platform, but not the one for the GPU setup. By using the command line to launch the Console in setup mode only, use [fah6-win-x86-console -configonly] and it will request input for your user name, team #, and other factors.. along with a passkey string if you have been given one.
Did a read-through of the exe file, and did find reference to Win 98 there. So supposedly it will run well with Win 98, but will have no recognition of any multi-core processor or the HT feature. It should work very well with W2K, XP and Vista.

Downloads of all the F@H versions for all OS types are available here.. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download
and for Console command use, this link.. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinConsoleInstall .

If you have an existing 'config' file in the folder, change its name to [client-cfg.bkp] to save the original, and not have it referenced to the newer command file. Or allow use of the previous configurations, and input the required configuration settings for the newer version.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team