SMP client config and instances on notebooks

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby ThEvil0nE » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 am

about passkeys, do you need separate passkeys for each machine? Done installing SMP on 1st VAIO using a passkey. I'll be installing SMP on the 2nd VAIO, do I need to generate another passkey?
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 pm

No, that passkey is unique to your user ID so you can use it on as many machines as you want :)

EDIT, Just a quick explanation. Folding@Home is unusual in distributed projects in that individual accounts have no password protection. This means for example that anyone can fold under someone elses name and even if that individual asks for the other person to stop there is absolutely nothing he can do about it. When FAH started up, my guess is that Pande Group thought that only a few hundred people would join the project and that it would be unlikely that duplicate user names would be generated. Its obviously too late to change this so Pande have come up with Passkeys. Unfortunately it does nothing to stop duplicate accounts but what it does do is give the ability to trace which account has sent that unit. If for example there are 50 users all using the name "John" then Pande will be able to differentiate between the different John's, something they can't do right now.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team