Vote for best racing/driving game?

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Voters, start your engines! What's the best Racing/Driving game for PC and Why?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:06 am

COLIN McRAE RALLY 2
15%
Driver
No votes
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
No votes
Midtown Madness 2
No votes
Midtown Madness 2
No votes
Motocross Madness 2
No votes
Grand Theft Auto 3
38%
Something Else (specify and why)
31%
I don't like ANY racing/driving games.
15%

Total votes : 13

Vote for best racing/driving game?

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:06 am

What's your favorite PC racing/driving game? Anything that's somewhat NEW and that puts you on motor powered wheels and supports use of a Wheel/Gamepad/Joystick is elgible (sorry, Elastomania isn't allowed). I ask because I rarely ever hear talk about a good PC racing/driving game, and when there is a driving game that isn't too shabby for PC it's always a carbon-copy of a console game, and probably more fun on a console as well.
What's your thoughts and experiences on this--is there a racing game that you'd rather be playing than any other genre type game (RPG, FPS, etc.)?
Is the PC racing genre doomed to redundant and boring, linear game-play--to always be behind consoles--, or is there something that has more of a life-span, past a few hours of joy-riding?
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby charibdis » Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:57 am

CMR2 is pretty cool. Fun to play over a network. And the graphics are nice.
ABIT NF7-S | Athlon 2500XP @ 12x200 | Corsair HydroCool200 | 3DMark2K1 V330 = 15722 ~ 3DMark03 V340 = 4988
-----------
2nd pc: Dual PII 350 running Fedora Core 2
-----------
3rd pc: Dual Intel PPro 200MHz (Linux) ->decomissioned due to heat problems
charibdis
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ssamurai26 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:02 pm

Since I got my PS2 I have sadly strayed away from PC racing games...
I haven't played any of those you have listed, could you give some honest reccomendations on them??? I'm looking to make a comeback on my PC.

I like realistic games, like GT3, but I also like just fun stuff too. Oh, and I prefer Rally/GT/street, but I'd consider F1.

In the past I used to really like Need 4 Speed Porsche unleased, NFS 1 & 2, Carmageddon, etc.
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby charibdis » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:45 am

If you like realistic. CMR2 isn't bad for realism. They got most of the physics right. Although one thing they should have done is the trees and pole that you run into shouldn't be solid. (they should be able to break)

You'll be racing and hit a small metal pole on the side of the road and your car will go from 100mph to 0 in less than a second. That's the only thing that could really be improved in my opinion.
ABIT NF7-S | Athlon 2500XP @ 12x200 | Corsair HydroCool200 | 3DMark2K1 V330 = 15722 ~ 3DMark03 V340 = 4988
-----------
-----------
charibdis
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ssamurai26 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:29 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Unfortunately that whole series is available on the PS2, so it'll be a struggle deciding between which version. :oops:

I've been really wary of Rally games, because I bought a couple of really terrible ones for my PS1, and everytime I see one in the store it brings back bad memories.

Have you seen any of the latest WRC title?

Oh and for that matter, who is McRae drivin for these days?
Still Ford?(shudder)
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby charibdis » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:29 pm

There's CMR3 that is coming or is out. (I forget) For the PS2.

The rally racing game they have on the XBox. (again I foget the title) It won awards for being one of the best rally games and they just released it on the PC about a month and a half ago. I've tried it on the Xbox and it wasn't that bad. Although I found the controls on the Xbox a little sloppy.

As for who McRae is driving, I have no clue. I havn't been keeping up with the WRC in a very long time.
-----------
-----------
charibdis
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby gamepyrate » Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:12 pm

charibdis wrote: The rally racing game they have on the XBox. (again I foget the title) It won awards for being one of the best rally games and they just released it on the PC about a month and a half ago. I've tried it on the Xbox and it wasn't that bad. Although I found the controls on the Xbox a little sloppy.

You mean RalliSport Challenge for PC?[link is to gamepyre.com review] It's probably one of the best driving games I've played, sure, but I'm not much of a fan of the genre. I liked playing it, but once I beat it, though it did take a while, I just didn't want to play any more. There was no ability to expand or customize, and the lack of an in-game browser for internet games dissappointed me--I like to be able to get into a game without calling up a friend and asking for his IP. And now that I have no gamepad, nor any specialized input devices for games, it wouldn't be the same game as it was with one.

A racing game that would attract my full attention and get me addicted would need to involve more variables, since essentially running the same track gets a bit boring. It would incorporate the customizations of the cars of the Gran Turismo(s) for PSX/2; the physics and speed of RalliSport Challenge; and most important to single-player game-play, a very well developed Career mode and an ability to customize/randomize/optimize the race's opponent's cars as well. But of course single-player games never have the "replay ability" of multi-player games, so my perfect game would also have to have several modes of game-play in multi-player--one with guns would be nice :lol: , or maybe chases and such; it would need more action.
I haven't played many in the genre, only 3 of the options in the vote poll, so I didn't vote. I have played GTA 3 and at first I was amazed, but there's nothing after playing further in the game that could keep that amazement--it's just limited shock value.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DBoy780 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:13 pm

8)
I am going to go against the grain and pick Papyrus' Nascar Racing Series. I like the genre of racing games and it is still the best followed closely by the Dirt Track Racing Series of which I have all the Nascar racing games and most of the Dirt Track series.

All of the games listed are fun and thrilling but give me racing everytime.
DBoy780
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ssamurai26 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:44 pm

While I'm not about to doubt you on the fun factor, I just have never been a fan of NASCAR based games. They just don't carry enough interest for me, but hey to each his/her own. I seem to be a member of a rapidly shrinking GT/Rally crowd. I really can't stand just going around and around an oval track.

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Giggz » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:29 pm

i like RalliSport Championship 2003,throwning your car about at high speeds :twisted: speed demon :twisted:
Win Xp Pro Sp1
Intel Pentium 3
64meg of SD Ram
Geforce 4 Mx440 (64mb on board)
5.1 channel soundcard
Dvd Drive 16x
Lite on 32x12x40x rewriter
15" TFT Monitor
Giggz
Initiate
Initiate

Next