What's the most popular modern PC game?

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

The most popular current game for PC?

Unreal 2
20%
Unreal Tournament 2003
30%
Jedi Knight 2
No votes
NASCAR Racing 2002/2003
No votes
NASCAR Racing 2002/2003
No votes
Counter Strike
30%
Serious Sam
No votes
Other
20%

Total votes : 10

What's the most popular modern PC game?

Postby Valour » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:09 pm

I'm trying to develop some game benchmarks. Since I don't play 3D games much anymore, I'm out of the loop...

What are the most popular 3D games out there? I know UT2K3, but it seems to me there are some racing games and space sim-shooter type of games that might be more widely played than Unreal Tournament.

If you select "Other," write in and tell me what it is.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Demosthenes » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:59 pm

hmm. a lot of the games listed, are older games. Might just be me, but i find those older games worthless for benchmarking on newer video cards, becuase they don't even take advantage of the modern cards features, thus, wont really test the cards 'true' ability.

Anyhow, just my thoughts :D
WinXP Pro
1.9ghz AMD Athlon XP (barton core) OCed to 2.25ghz
Volcano 9
Abit NF7 rev. 2
512mb Apacer Infineon DDR3200 in dual channel mode
Gigabyte 5900xt
4x Aopen DVD burner
400 watt PSU
120Gig 7200rpm Maxtor
Demosthenes
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Valour » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:04 pm

Demosthenes wrote:hmm. a lot of the games listed, are older games. Might just be me, but i find those older games worthless for benchmarking on newer video cards, becuase they don't even take advantage of the modern cards features, thus, wont really test the cards 'true' ability.

Anyhow, just my thoughts :D

Well that doesn't help me at all unless you tell me what games I should be looking at.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:33 pm

Unreal 2 is old? It was just released this month! It is quite a stress too on machines... All you have to do is increase the resolution a bit (1280+ will do) and let me know if you still think it doesn't stress current video cards...

But essentially valour, the principle he is referring to is somewhat valid. After about 6+ months, there is always a new game that usually is worth devoting your attention towards...

BattleField 1942 is a great game too, and it needs a fairly modern system to be competitve.
Command and Conquer Generals is a recent release that has fairly steep requirements.
Medal of Honor is sort of like Battlefield 1942, except it has more of a single player side.
Neverwinter nights is a recent RPG with robust video card settings. It can do 3 kinda of AA, and requires a fairly new computer to run at 1024x768 or above.
Morrowind is another RPG, that has a heavy amount of detail. It also requires a good video card to shine...

So just pump any of the above games to at least 1024x768x32 and you should see some differences in performance on a wide variety of video cards/systems.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Valour » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:28 pm

The point of figuring out what the most popular games are is so that I can test two of them and give gamers a good idea of how a motherboard performs. I'm already set on UT2K3 because it has a built-in benchmark program that HardOCP has tweaked for reliability and reproducability.

3DMark2001 is no longer a good benchmark to use and 2003 doesn't seem to be very accurate, based on the 3D rendering technology it uses for its tests.

I'm aiming for "most people" and therefore use standard test system specs that I feel most users will have -- or at least they can use those specs to compare to.

Neverwinter Nights sounds like a good, drastically different game to use... my current idea for benchmarking was suggested by someone else in another thread -- to use an independent program that measures frame rates. A system's performance with an RPG would have to be judged by different criteria though... I guess I'd have to get the game and play it in order to know what I need to test.

-Jem

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Demosthenes » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:48 pm

hmm. a lot of the games listed, are older games.

Didn't say all of them :D hell, i voted for Ut2k3 because of the 'rag dall' physics, and the fact that at high reses, it strains my card :)

Anyway, your suggestions were not bad. NWN, and bf1942 would be ok i bet.

And Valour, whats this about 3dmark2k3 not being very accurate? Is it the fact that it uses generic games that they created themselves? I have not really heard much about it. Can you explain, thanks :)
WinXP Pro
1.9ghz AMD Athlon XP (barton core) OCed to 2.25ghz
Volcano 9
Abit NF7 rev. 2
512mb Apacer Infineon DDR3200 in dual channel mode
Gigabyte 5900xt
4x Aopen DVD burner
400 watt PSU
120Gig 7200rpm Maxtor
Demosthenes
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Valour » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:04 pm

Demosthenes wrote:
hmm. a lot of the games listed, are older games.

Didn't say all of them :D hell, i voted for Ut2k3 because of the 'rag dall' physics, and the fact that at high reses, it strains my card :)

Anyway, your suggestions were not bad. NWN, and bf1942 would be ok i bet.

And Valour, whats this about 3dmark2k3 not being very accurate? Is it the fact that it uses generic games that they created themselves? I have not really heard much about it. Can you explain, thanks :)

It has to do with a lot of things... check out the thread in the Water Cooler for the full info. Basically ATI says it's okay and Nvidia says it sucks. The opinion of most reviewers is that it isn't worth using as an accurate way to test 3D rendering performance and after having reviewed the facts I have to agree with them.

-Jem

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Valour » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:07 pm

so far I've got Quake 3 Arena, Ut2K3 demo plus the HardOCP benchmarkin program for it (version 2.0, actually), and I'm downloading the NWN demo now but I haven't figured out how I'm going to use it to benchmark... I'll have to play it and see. If I can make the game run certain reproducable patterns, that will be a good start.

Essentially what the UT2K3 benchmark does is a "flyby" with the bots running preset patterns while measuring frame rates.

-Jem

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:13 pm

I'll check the neverwinter forums in a bit and see if anything comes up for benchmarking. Essentially, with the full scripting and world building capability it should be there. Question is do you build it yourself, download it, or how to find it already in game...
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:31 pm

Ok, I'm back. I could find nothing other than the built in FPS command and a reference that Neverwinter nights uses OpenGL.

Here's an openGL benchmark program (it looks old though, and you could probably find better ones out there):
http://www.vulpine.de/demos_benchmark.html

You might also consider Dungeon Siege as an alternative if you can't get anything going with Neverwinter...
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Games