Unreal 2 or UT2K3?

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Unreal 2 or UT2K3?

Postby Falklian » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:50 pm

I was in Electronics Boutique the other day going for C&C Generals, they didn't have it in, but I saw Unreal 2 and UT2K3. I had previously played 2K3 and thought it was loads of fun, Unreal 2 just looks plain gorgeous. I was debating on which one to pick up, but after I asked the clerk if U2 had multiplayer, I ended up going with 2K3. I'm not really all that into single player games. Most of my single player game choices will get played for about a week, then get shelved. Unfortunate for my games. I might still pick up U2 though, just looks way too sweet to pass up. One thing that does have me baffled though is that 2K3's performance on my machine is plain horrible, I'm running way above even the recommended specs and I have to turn off a lot of features or tone them down to not recieve hickups or laggy graphics. I have a Celeron 1.8, 512 DDR 2100, GigaByte P4 Titan (GA-8SR533P), GeForce 4 MX440-SE. My system exceeds *I think* all of the recommended requirements for U2 as well, will that perform even worse on my system? I know the video card isn't top of the line, but the recommended card is a GeForce 2! Also, my processor isn't exactly top of the line either, but I think it should definately handle the game considering the recommended is a 1.0... *shrugs*
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:19 am

Well minimum specs are minimum details. The game will play, but not exactly to full potential. You would probably expect similair play comparing 2k3 to u2. But I think in the end you are better off with 2k3 because u2 doesn't last very long at all. These games are pretty intensive, and they need all the video card and CPU power they can get...
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby twixel » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:12 am

For me unreal 2003 is easier to run. With unreal 2 I keep the fps on the screen and its colour coded and mine goes in and out of the red quite alot. I just gave up playing it for two reasons 1. jerky frame rate gives me really sore eyes and 2. I just dont want to turn the settings down until I get my new card. So in my case I will wait until the 25th then order my new card and take another go 8)

I will take a guess and say that you get around 3000-3500 3D Marks. I get just over 6000 and its still a little jerky. Like Johnny says these games do need lots of power.

The worst ive seen yet on my pc was the splinter cell demo. I was ok at the start of the level but when I went into the first room BANG! the framerate collasped.

Your system certainly exceeds the min specs but to be honest they're never really all that realistic. Why not think about getting a new vid card?
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
twixel
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Falklian » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:58 am

I know I need a new card, but money is tight right now, so a new card is out of the question for at least a few months. I tweaked the settings in 2K3 though and found out what was killing my framerate, using the EAX features in the sound options, just turned that to software mode and my framerate skyrocketed :D
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby twixel » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:58 pm

I can actually run unreal 2003 pretty high, but that isnt the case with unreal 2 at all unfortunately. Im pretty much in the same boat as you, I havent much money and I only work 3 days a week. It's taken me quite a while to save up £300 for my new card but now I have it and im just waiting for it to come out. I guess you should do what I had to do and save a little each week until you finally get there, it's worth it in the end 8)
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
twixel
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:19 am

There is an issue with EAX in unreal 2. It seems with it on, you may get a crash to desktop every hour or so. Even if you don't have any crashes, it usually suffers in Frame rate. There was a released patch for EAX issues, and while it still crashed on me once, it might of been for a different reason (no sound related error message given that time). Even after the patch and EAX enabled, frame rates really suffered. With EAX off, and prefably no patch, the frame rates rocked. I recommend to not use the patch, and play with EAX on (the sound really does become incredible) and just save often... :)
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Games