Iron Storm

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Iron Storm

Postby Hobgoblin351 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:49 pm

Hey is any one playing Iron Storm? I'm relatively new to gaming and want to know what the real gamers think of it. Ok, other than the fact that it needs patches and upgrades to get it running. Everyone pretty much agrees that they should have not let it on the market with bugs in it. I like the alternative future scenario. The graphics are good, but I really like the feel of the game. What are your thoughts on it
Hobgoblin351
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:34 pm

Welcome to the Mother Board!

Hadn't heard of it till you mentioned it, so I know nothing about the game itself. Who produced it and why is it out with bugs?? :?
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hobgoblin351 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:34 pm

Thanks Tolemac, I'm sure I'll learn alot here. Iron Storm is made by Dreamcast. I picked it up over the holidays on a recommendation by a friend. I then had to download a patch at their website, upgrade to directX8.1, upgrade my video drivers and buy a new mouse!. My system is old but not that old!
specs:
Asus mobo P3@1Ghz
Abit Siluro Geforce2 64Mgs
768Mgs RAM
SoundBlatser 5.1
Now everything runs great, I can understand the patch/drivers/and directX upgrade. Since I'm a little behind the times I was not surprised. But the game will only run if you have a 3 button mouse with a wheel. The only thing is they should tell you that on the box so you dont have to keep going back to the store! lol Once I started playing I forgot all about the problems I had getting it to run.
Hobgoblin351
Initiate
Initiate

Postby useless comment » Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:30 am

I believe it's put out by Dreamcatcher. I downloaded the demo a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty good with a decent story. I'm half tempted to buy it if it gets to the $10 computer game bin at walmart(where I've come upon quite a number of Dreamcatcher games).

I had a few issues with it that are maybe cleared up by patches. For one, although I get excellent frame rates, sometimes if I stop moving for a second the screen freezes. It's not permanent but it seems the only way to get going again is to use the keyboard to move your guy. Another thing, thier seemless level loading is pretty annoying.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hobgoblin351 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:12 pm

You're right is is Dreamcatcher. I get the screen freezes too. I think it's loading more graphics. It has never happend to me when it matters though, (ie; when under fire ,or attacking) only when there is a lull in the action. I figure if it's got to do it then what better time.
I usually get my games out of that discount rack too! lol But for a change I wanted to play a game BEFORE everyone else has already finished it and moved to the next one. I am loving the sniper rifle! lol Although it's trickey shooting in the fog and rain, waiting for the lightening so you can see the enemy's silhouette. The only good thing is he's having the same trouble shooting back! lol
Hobgoblin351
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Phillipste » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:26 pm

I just got my copy of Compter Gaming World in the mail and they gave Iron Strom 2 stars. They called it Tedious. They might have it posted on their on-line site.
ANTEC SX1040b case,ASUS A7V333,AMD Athlon XP 2200+ ,Thermaltake Volcano 9
512mb Corsair PC2100,120 GB WD w 8mb Cache,GAIDWARD Geforce4 TI4600,NEC Multisynch A500
Phillipste
Green Belt
Green Belt

Iron Storm?

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:01 pm

Why not try out the demo and decide for yourself?

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/113189.shtml

Me? I was not impressed. The theme seemed intriguing, but the gameplay was pretty much average (in the demo). Nothing really going on to make me want to finish the demo, or even look at the game on the store shelf.

But another game by Dreamcatcher, called Hegemonia, that one is much more interesting. It's a real time strategy game (RTS) that lets you command a fleet of star ships ranging from tiny fighters to giant battleships. I have yet to try the multiplayer yet because I would probably be handed my butt by a 12 year old at this point. But soon, young skywalker, you will get yours... :)
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hobgoblin351 » Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:57 pm

hey guys thanks for the insight. I've played MOHAA on a friends PS2, and thought this one would give the WWI/WWII shooters a cool twist. As far as playing online though, well I'm still using dialup. (Ok lets have the bad jokes! lol ) And without the cable modem I'm told not to bother. I'll be dead and not even know it.
Hey Johnny, that Hegemonia sounds intrigueing. I'm going to findthe demo on that Thanks
Hobgoblin351
Initiate
Initiate

Postby snakebite66 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:21 pm

Well, I have been playing Iron storm and finally gave up on it towards the end of level 2. not a patch on RTCW or MOHAA or Half Life.

I found it quite tedious with some strange AI. It just has no atmosphere if you get my drift.....something lacking. I love shooters but this is a poorer attempt.

It can be overly hard in some areas too, you would think shooting a machine gun at dogs from a distance would kill some of them......oh no even point blank range and they still come at you.

I have taken it off the system and will exchange it for something else.
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Games