Cheapest build for Stardew Valley

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Cheapest build for Stardew Valley

Postby Asus4Azus » Mon May 08, 2017 4:17 am

Hey everyone, first off thanks for accepting me onto this forum. It has been a while since I posted on a forum so if I break any rules or anything like that, please send me a PM so I know what to change. Anyways, onto my dilemma.

I got Stardew Valley a couple months ago, and me and my girlfriend have a great time playing it together(I play and she tells me who she thinks I should romance). My girlfriend is not much of a gamer and so far the only game we have been able to play together has been Terraria but I think that if we played Stardew together it would be fun. At this point we only have the one desktop that can run the game while the laptop can barely run Google Chrome. I have been looking online at different motherboards and chip set as I don't think we will have to get a graphics card, and it seems that I can get a cheap P4 motherboard that will be able to run the game if I get an appropriate processor. Does this seem correct? I was hoping that in buying a P4 (or a P5 if I need to) would negate having to get a graphics card since we are going to be running pretty simple games. Thanks for any advice guys!

Edit-After some deliberating and discussions, I have decided to go with an older but not too old pre-built system. I managed to get my hands on a Dell Optiplex 960 from someone on for-sale.co.uk and that seems to be playing Stardew perfect at this point. If we move onto more games with higher demands we might need to upgrade, but for now this is perfect! Thanks for all the advice!

Edit: deactivated live link to 'for-sale.uk'.
Bad pop-up ads!
..Karlsweldt.
Last edited by Asus4Azus on Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus4Azus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Cheapest build for Stardew Valley

Postby Roach412 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:03 am

From the looks of the minimum system requirements on that game, you can pretty much buy any pre-assembled computer and play it.

You're not going to want to buy a P4 for a build out - there's very little support for those processors anymore.

I got a $150 refurb office machine recently for my fiancée's mother that would probably more than accommodate your needs:
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-hp-pro ... efurbished

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Asus4Azus » Fri May 12, 2017 1:10 am

Roach412 wrote:From the looks of the minimum system requirements on that game, you can pretty much buy any pre-assembled computer and play it.

You're not going to want to buy a P4 for a build out - there's very little support for those processors anymore.

I got a $150 refurb office machine recently for my fiancée's mother that would probably more than accommodate your needs:
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-hp-pro ... efurbished

-Roach

Wow, I didn't even think of getting an old pre-built system. I looked online and found a old Optiplex 780 for less than I would have spent on a hard drive. I was hoping to use this exercise as a fun way to show my girlfriend how to put a computer together and this will still work for that as we can slowly replace all the $%^!@# Dell parts inside. We might need to do that soon as I don't know how long these parts will stay supported but for now it seems to be working fine for us! Thanks again!
Asus4Azus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 am

Be cautious about those "mini" tower systems. Very few if any upgrade options, sometimes dedicated components (PSU). Considered as 'entry level' or 'disposable' systems. Better to go with a mid-tower or full-tower system that can be upgraded or have extra features added.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Asus4Azus » Sat May 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Yea, we will keep that in mind thanks. The idea of a disposable machine right now isn't to bad, that way we can screw up as much as possible and won't have to worry about losing to much of an investment. In the future a more mid range machine will definitely be the plan!
Asus4Azus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 am

There's definitely 2 different goals if you're looking to use this as a learning or fun experiment.

If you just want the cheapest build for that game, those prebuilts are exactly what you can use.
If you want to have an opportunity to build something, or upgrade components - you're going to want to be very careful with using any prebuilts.

Most of those office-style mass production units have basically proprietary connections and some hardware pieces inside which don't allow upgrades(at least not very easily).

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset