Splinter Cell Double Agent. Different on Xbox & 360

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Splinter Cell Double Agent. Different on Xbox & 360

Postby hunter1801 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 pm

I played the PC version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent a while back, and I rented the regular Xbox version today. I was confused because I started on a completely different mission than I did on the PC. The further I got into the game, the more I realized that this was completely different! I looked into it more, and it turns out they made the game different on separate systems. Why would they do this?

The next gen consoles and PC are 1 version, the older systems have another version. Its not just toned down graphics, its completely different levels and changed environments. You don't start on the same levels, you don't progress in the same ways, and the overall gameplay has a different effect on the separate versions (for example, on the next gen versions, you are primarily taking on daytime missions, forcing you to use less sneaking around. In the old consoles, you rely more on sneaking in the shadows at night.)

Edit: another difference in the 360 is that the classic splinter cell HUD is removed. You get no light/dark indicator. It is replaced by a red, yellow, green light meter on your back (which doesn't make any sence when you are in jail with this monitoring device on your back.....). Red=spotted, Yellow=aware, Green=hidden. They also removed the noise meter.

I'm just wondering if this is normal for old/next gen consoles. I've never seen this done to a game before, so it was quite puzzling :?
Last edited by hunter1801 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby The Pizza Boy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:25 am

I worked at Microsoft testing video games for awhile before going back to school. This was a common occurrence in cross generation console titles. Keep in mind that there are 2 separate development teams working the title. And if its for the playstation systems as well, thats another 2 teams. Another good example of this is with Tony Hawk Project 8. Both games are released at the same time and is technically the same game, but they are both completely night and day.

Its just how it goes. As much as copy paste would be nice for the those cross gen games its just not possible.
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks for the input. When this does happen, do the developers go in TRYING to make it different, or is it just how it turns out? I understand how different platforms can have slightly different things, but like this game, its almost completely different. Different levels and everything.

I'm just wondering what goes through their minds when they make a level 1 way on a system, then completely remove or change it for another console. The changes in this game were pretty extreme.

-Edited differences in 1st post.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ssamurai26 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Doesn`t surprise me at all. Never noticed it, because I don`t have the game on multiple consoles, but we know the PC versions differ radically from console versions.
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby The Pizza Boy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:48 pm

Alot if it comes down to the hardware. Ive played both the Xbox 1 and 360 versions of splinter cell. The X1 version is shorter and less pretty, mostly because the RAM is alot less. Generally games on multiple consoles are different because like i said, different teams of Devs and hardware. Most games are identical, but games with a big studio behind tends to be different console to console.

Also graphically speaking, level design is an important feature. Sometimes what mechanic works in the 360 wouldnt work on the X1. Ive seen them scrap level designs like that and start over.
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Just found the Wiki on it. Don't know why I didn't check there until now lol. It gives a rundown of all the differences. Like you mentioned, they were made by different teams. Version 1 by Ubisoft Shanghai, and Version 2 by Ubisoft Montreal. I haven't played the full game of Version 1, but I just beat V2 (regular Xbox version) and I enjoyed it. It feels more like the Splinter Cell series that I know and love. V1 seemed too different. I think they were trying to experiment with the next gen consoles performance capabilities, and they drifted away from the classic SC game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splinter_Cell_Double_Agent
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby The Pizza Boy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:00 am

There we go. I imagine that collaboration between those 2 teams was hard with the international date line and all. And language barriers im guessing.
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Games