Crysis Crisis

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby ssamurai26 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 pm

House payment definitely more important than playing crysis :lol:
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby arcchon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I think my performance is worse with crossfire, in other words; but, according to what I read on other sites, this is not unusual.

As always, thanks for the input, guys!
arcchon
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:22 am

During an install, the program may auto-detect the specific features used.. and optimally set the configuration file to what is found. If the specific features are changed, it may require a partial reinstall.. or renaming of the [config.cfg] file to [config.bak] and allowing the program to reestablish the setup parameters. There may be a user menu for setting preferences with display properties.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby arcchon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:17 pm

I thought about some of that; I removed the game altogether and I will attempt a re-install; this might work (it has on other games). Also, I will try to benchmark the cards and see if the crossfire is really working, or if it is at least close.

A clean install of Lost Planet ran disappointingly slow, however; my single GTX was smoother and faster.

Maybe the hardware and software are not correlating very well just yet.

SP1 might help?
arcchon
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:13 am

Recheck the BIOS pages concerning video features.. and if the dualing of video cards is proper, if any control lines are present. One video card will need to be installed in the 'primary' slot, and the second one (ideally of the same model/memory) in the 'secondary' slot. The "X" factor for data acceleration may default to a lower speed when two cards are employed.
Also ensure that the latest DirectX driver set is in use. And use of the latest non-Beta video driver set is desired. Many video drivers are of a 'family' or 'general' sort, and may cover more than one model type.
Also, it may not be a video problem.. does the program accept the enhanced features of the audio setup? If not, then set the audio theme to a lower status that is compatible. I had some games that wouldn't work with the Audigy EAX theme.. by degrading the theme, they work very nicely.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby arcchon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 am

All good thoughts, my friend.

A little update: I did nothing but restart my computer last night and low and behold, Lost Planet in DX10 worked as well or better, in some areas, versus the GTX; curiously, during the performance test that the game has, it ran at only 40-50 fps, as opposed to in the 70's - 80's with the GTX.

In addition, I reinstalled Crysis and the patch BEFORE I played the game for the first time in Crossfire with two, indentical Radeon 3870's. Well, the introductory movies DO NOT look good at all, they are choppy and larger than originally noted with the GTX; HOWEVER, I can manage to get to the game, via a choppy menu screen, and gameplay is as good or better than the GTX!!!

Strange? Maybe not, I have encountered such problems as these before when I have played around with components and/or programs that are supposedly compatible, but maybe not so, with DX9.

Even so, any thoughts would be welcome. By the way, if you have only two Crossfire eligible cards, using both connectors across to both cards, not just one, significantly enhanced my performance, or it at least seemed to.

Any opinions?
arcchon
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby arcchon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:40 am

Also, as an aside, isn't it funny how this only seems to happen with the games we REALLY want to play?

I haven't had anywhere near the problems with other games as I have had with Crysis.
arcchon
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:57 pm

The games presently offered (and some other programming) pushes performance to the limit.. assuming everyone will have the optimum configuration on their setups. Perhaps incorporating the enhancement features for play on a true optimum system, but lower the "true" playability so the majority of users with lesser setups can enjoy the products! Not everyone has a budget for a computer with all the whiz-bangs, costing greater than 5 grand!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Games