Outpost 2

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Outpost 2

Postby greytrains » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:24 am

I have the game Outpost 2 Divided Destiny. This game was made back in 1997. It will work properly on my older system (PIII 500MHz Win 2000 Pro) but will not work properly on my newer system (AMD Duel Core Win XP). I am thinking about retiring my older system due to the fact that most newer programs can not run on a system that old. Once I get the newer system working again, would I be able to get that game to work if I put Windows 2000 on that computer along with Windows XP?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby greytrains » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:01 am

I did not find the answer I was looking for but I found a site dedicated to this game.

http://www.outpost-universe.net/index.php
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Outpost 2

Postby MrCraigCraig » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:13 am

greytrains wrote:I have the game Outpost 2 Divided Destiny. This game was made back in 1997. It will work properly on my older system (PIII 500MHz Win 2000 Pro) but will not work properly on my newer system (AMD Duel Core Win XP). I am thinking about retiring my older system due to the fact that most newer programs can not run on a system that old. Once I get the newer system working again, would I be able to get that game to work if I put Windows 2000 on that computer along with Windows XP?

Have you tried setting the compatibility parameters in Windows XP for your old game?
Some games don't look right when they're run in modes that have more colors than the game can produce. Try running in a compatibility mode for an older version of Windows or running the game in a mode which uses fewer colors.
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:30 am

Depending on the age of the game or program, it may not be suited to very high bus speeds. But if it worked well on the older setup, it should work as well on the newer one with XP. You will need to set the user-preference options as to screen resolution, shading and other factors.. and there should be patches available for any "bug" fixes. Your video card, if newer, should encompass all the previous video modes. Some older Vesa modes may be abandoned, but there may be work-arounds.. with lesser resolution images.
If the game or program is in the older 16-bit mode, then you will need to employ the 'compatibility' mode with XP. Windows 2000 retained the 16-bit compatibility mode and invokes it as needed. Any 32-bit programming setup should be no problem.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby greytrains » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:46 am

Would it make a difference if I installed Win 2000 on that system and set it up as a duel boot system?

greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:34 am

Should be worth the effort. Install Windows 2000 first, do all the updates and patches required. Then do a clone or backup of the install. You then cold-boot to the XP OS disc, and do the install process.. not the upgrade process. You would need to set a name for the parent Windows folder that is different than the original. Winnt is the basic or default name. Use Winxp or similar for the new install.
Some programming and drivers will be different between the versions, so expect some compatibility problems with certain operations. Video drivers, sound drivers and others may work differently. The newer OS should be of the same genre as the older.. 32-bit compatible, but could have 64-bit capabilities. It would be good forethought to create a "Programs" folder in conjunction to the "Program Files" folder, to store any programming that is different in nature than the earlier installs.
A lot of programming lists "keys" in the Registry for association with other programming. You could try first to just duplicate the program link from the older OS to the new. The supplementary programming file links should be compatible.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Games