Strategy Games

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Strategy Games

Postby Daft Ada » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:51 am

I'm off work for Christmas and need to occupy myself :P

I'm tired of the plan and boring shooter games. Can anyone recommend a truly strategic game with an interesting storyline?

I've got a very old graphics card, it's only a 9800XT 256MB, so I can't really play the latest and greatest.

Nothing "online", I have a slow connection and online games are just bad news.

Thanks.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:45 am

Age of Empires has many versions, and many imitators. The Descent III version is quite good. Tomb Raider? Halo? RTCW? Heretic II? Then there are some 'war' games that require a good bit of user decision-making. Delta Force-Extreme would be worth looking into. If you enjoyed the original DOOM games, there is a remake of the "Classic Doom" for the new engine.. which is great.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:26 am

Well for RTS I would recommend the Command and Conquer series. If you like the story line even better. The gameplay never siezes to amaze me. My personaly favorite from the series would be Command and Conquer Generals. It remains to be my favorite RTS to this day. I love suicide bombing an entire city or hijacking an entire fleet of tanks. Either way you should check at least if nothing else Generals out.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:34 am

World in Conflict is a rather fun game, but I have no idea as to how well it would perform on your system.

Warcraft Three is one that I highly recommend, it's fun, you have hero's, and you can have armies doing your work for you.
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:07 am

Warcraft III
Starcraft
Command and Conquer
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Daft Ada » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:41 pm

Warcraft III looks a lot like NeverWinter Nights which was fun.

Thanks. I'll look closely at this one.
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ssamurai26 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 pm

I know I am late, but have you ever played any of the Civilization series?
Civ II was incredible, and Civ 4 is pretty good too. Rome Total War is another really fun strategy game too.
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby TheReverend5 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

The Civilization games are excellent games, and I definitely second the recommendation. Seriously deep strategy that you can get the hang of quickly makes for an excellent game.
TheReverend5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Space Rangers II, Rise of the Dominators (it needs a DVD player, but the graphics run OK on my 2 year old laptop).

It not only requires strategy, but has so many options that you can always change race and 'career' to play the game again, which I did while in the Hospital for months - no internet needed, and several hundred 'other' virtual players operate while you do (good salvage WILL be picked up by someone if you don't, or can't due to cargo or gripper issues). You will need to build up your ship and accessories, and technology will continue to offer better stuff at constantly increasing prices, and the better stuff is more expensive to repair...

You may have to look for it - but it's only about $30 and comes with (unprotected !) Space Rangers I, which can be 100% installed to HD. SRII does need the DVD to run, but it is a fun game - originally written in Russia, and can be installed to use Russian if desired...sometimes the translations are strange or humorous.
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Games