Gaming on a Widescreen

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Gaming on a Widescreen

Postby snakebite66 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:55 am

Thinking of going widescreen monitor....22" is where I am thinking of

Just interested how you mange to get older games to run in the resolution....I like older games like tomb raider, Half Life etc...just wonder how people here manage to get around the resolution and making older games fit the screen?

I belive there is a site/forum on WWW that gives advice and fixes....but would like to hear fom anyone on the forum here how they have found gaming in general and running older games on widescreen monitors?
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 am

I have a widescreen monitor. I was concerned about the same thing when I bought it, but I do not regret it at all. I actually just played through half life recently, and I didn't notice if it was in WS or not. Check this forum for any fixes like you mentioned:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wi ... =Main_Page

The one thing that really irritates me is companies like EA, who REFUSE to make their Battlefield series compatible with WS. There are fixes that let you get around Punkbuster, but I decided I didnt really care enough to do them. You get used to it, and it doesn't look as distorted as you might think.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:42 am

http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... p?t=101827

hunter1801 wrote:The one thing that really irritates me is companies like EA, who REFUSE to make their Battlefield series compatible with WS. There are fixes that let you get around Punkbuster, but I decided I didnt really care enough to do them. You get used to it, and it doesn't look as distorted as you might think.

But EA's reasoning makes sense. It would give an unfair advantage to players running WS since it allows them to see more than other players.

Also, you don't have to look at it distorted if you have an Nvidia. Nvidia's control panel will put up black bars on the sides so it will fill your screen top to bottom and not distort.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:39 pm

That whole unfair advantage argument doesn't make sense to me. Sure you technically see more, but does that really make a big enough difference to matter? 1 inch more on each side. During gameplay, you are constantly moving, and turning. Being able to see a guy on your left or right .5 seconds sooner doesn't really make a big difference. Most professional gaming leagues allow WS monitors, so they obviously don't see a big enough difference.

Plus, if your going to look at it that way, you can say that a 8800 has an advantage over a 6800 because you can see enemies easier. Full AA and a longer view distance is a much bigger advantage for spotting enemies in grass. Or a T1 connection is better than cable. Why don't they just place hardware/bandwidth caps on everything so everyone is equal? There are a lot of more advantageous things than WS monitors out there, so I don't know why they just single that out.:(

Edit: As far as the black bar thing goes, thats true, but I didn't buy a WS monitor to view things in 4:3. I'd rather view the stretched image on some games. It doesn't look too bad, and you do get used to it.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:09 pm

I didn't say I necessarily agree with it, just that it makes sense in the "equal playing field" argument.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:22 pm

i would very much recommend getting that 22 inch wide screen monitor. I switched a little over a year ago and i love it and not just for gaming. There is so much more room on the screen to do things.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Perhaps an upgrade to the video drivers may help. The video control console should have a panel where you can select the design of the screen.. from "square" to "wide" or "portrait".
The converted image intended for a "square" screen wouldn't be stretched to fit.. the top and bottom image portions would be chopped to fit the screen. Not too much info would be lost.
If the image isn't suitable, then go with the 'reversed letterbox' effect on those programs.. sort of "black curtains" at each side.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby snakebite66 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:15 am

Thanks for all the replies.....

I will probably go for a 22" screen and upgrade the video card too...

sounds like there will not be too many problems...
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby cwl157 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:53 pm

Just out of curiosity, which 22 inch widescreen monitor did you have in mind?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ssamurai26 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:08 pm

To be honest, I play older games in widescreen, and I just leave them distorted. You can see the difference, but it really isn`t so bad, and it`s not distracting in any way, just the characters sometimes look a little overweight
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next