bad sound in call of duty 4

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

bad sound in call of duty 4

Postby cwl157 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:46 pm

I just bought call of duty 4 and am having some problems with the sound. There is a constant static in the back ground. I have a creative sound blaster x-fi sound card. Anyone else have problems with it? I am gonna go search for updated drivers now but i wanted to post here first to see if anyone else had any problems. Thanks.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:38 pm

i did update the driver but the problem is still there. Another problem i am having is with the multiplayer if i try to make the resolution 1680 x 1050 it crashes to the desktop and i get a DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error. View the readme for a possible fix error. This resolution works just fine the in single player. Any Ideas? I am using Windows XP and directX 9.0

EDIT: Well i reinstalled it and now the crashes to desktop dont seem to be happening, however the sound in the single player is still static. The sound in the multiplayer is fine though
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Is it a static sound, or is it more of a "crackling" sound? In Battlefield 2, I get a crackling sound whenever the base gets too high (explosion, driving a tank, or flying a jet). I don't have a sound card though, so Im assuming thats the reason. You said you had one, so Im not sure what the problem would be. Does multiplayer have the same sounds that you hear static on for single player, and are those sound fine?
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby cwl157 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:49 pm

all the sounds in multiplayer are fine, and as for crackling instead of static, i guess it could be called crackling, and i have had a couple instances where its straight static for about a second or so.

EDIT: I played more multiplayer paying attention to the sound and yes that crackles as well as the single player game. So bottom line is i have a creative soundblaster x-fi extremegamer card and the sound in call of duty 4 crackles. Anyone have any ideas why? I also play enemy territory: Quake Wars and the sound in just fine in that.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:08 am

Depends on the default sound scheme you select from the game's user preference menu. You first establish either analog or digital sound output, depending on the speakers in use. Then what type of speaker setup.. plain stereo, surround, 5.1, 7.1 mode or whatever.
Some programs don't work well with the EAX design of sound schemes. You may have to disable that feature.
If your other uses for audio are good, then it is likely a problem with the mode setting of the one program.
In rare cases, there are too many devices sharing an IRQ or DMA. A diagnostics program such as Everest or PC Wizard can show what devices are on what assignments.
Some BIOS types have a "reset configuration settings" control line, where the BIOS will sort out conflicts prior to Windows "doing its thing" and possibly causing problems. But it is not unusual to see up to four devices on the same IRQ.. there are some IRQ groups that are "cascading" or can be assigned to sub-list devices with another IRQ or DMA.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:18 pm

i tried disabling EAX no luck it still crackles. I have a 5.1 set up but the 2 back speakers arent plugged in so its essentially a 3.1 set up the 2 side speakers, center channel and sub.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Mr T » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Ok, if it works fine with other games, music etc. then the hardware isn't at fault.. Check the games forums for any updates or compatability issues...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby hunter1801 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:06 pm

True, the game itself might be coded "wrong" or faulty. As I mentioned before, I have the same problem for BF2, but I don't see the problem occurring in any of my other games (that eliminates the thought of it being a speaker problem). At this point, I'd hope for a patch, or a FAQ on their site that deals with the same problem.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby cwl157 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:48 pm

alright a patch did come out but the sound is still messed up also the settings went back to the defaults and when i try to change them it i get a crash to desktop and it says that directx suffered an unrecoverable error. So now the sound is bad and i cant change any of the in game settings.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:35 pm

Check to see if the DirectX version is the latest for your OS type. Should be 9.0c for all but Vista.. which is DX 10.
You should be able to at least get into the user-configurable menu, and change the sound scheme to a lower class to see if it works better.
If the encoding is not present in the sound files, then the audio card may employ a matrix synthesizer to create the extra channels.. resulting in static or crackling. Ensure the matrix feature is disabled in the sound card's control panel.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Games