Portal crashes upon startup...

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Portal crashes upon startup...

Postby Calliah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:16 pm

Hello everyone! Been a while since I've posted here...I've still been folding, though. It's only one computer, but I'm sure it helps. :)

Anyway, on the problem at hand. As the subject title says, the game Portal crashes once the Valve video plays. Here's all my info.

I downloaded the game via Steam. Steam runs just fine, of course.

I have an XPS m1210 Dell laptop.
Intel Core 2 CPU (t5600 if that makes a difference) @1.83 GHz
1 gig ram
integrated Mobile Intel 945GM Express w/ max graphic memory of 224mb
Windows XP Home edition

Its been so long since I've given specs on a computer that I don't remember if that's everything that is needed. :? Sorry.

If you need any other information, I'll give it gladly.

PS I've checked the specs on the 945 chipset, and it meets the requirements for Portal. I've updated drivers for the video card, as well as the motherboard.

Any help is greatly appreciated. THanks!
Calliah
Initiate
Initiate

Postby The Pizza Boy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:03 pm

When i first downloaded Portal I had to update my graphics driver to get it to run. And it had been a long time since I had updated any drivers. Give that shot me thinks.

Edit: Im dumb and didnt read your whole post seeing how you already updated your graphics card. Can that built in card handle the game? Whats your memory look like?
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:53 am

You just barely meet the minimal requirements for the game. Laptops will never equal a true PC setup.. unless you spend a lot of money for a "gaming" laptop! And most laptops don't have the feature to upgrade to a better video card.. the video is on-board, in the Northbridge chipset. It has no dedicated memory of its own, and has a portion of the main memory's top end allocated to its use. Whatever amount of memory is allocated to the video setup will detract from main memory amount needed for other system processes. The Northbridge chipset has to do double-duty with main data flow, and also the video rendering.
Even if the laptop had an option for a docking station with a true video card, it still will not equal a true PC.
Not putting down laptops, they have a specific field of use. But for any intense gaming needs, you need a truly powerful "real" PC.

For examples of true "gaming" laptops, check this link.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Games