UT3 demo out

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

UT3 demo out

Postby HigHTecHReDNecK » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:33 pm

For those that like UT , UT3 demo is out ......... I downloaded from gamershell ( donno if its ok to link )

played it for about 1/2 hour , looks good and is pretty fun :D ( im no gamer so i really cant compare it to anything )
HigHTecHReDNecK
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Falklian » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:56 am

Yay!

Been waiting for this game for a long time. Huge fan of original UT and UT2K4. Spent hours and hours playing these games at LAN parties and just screwin' around with friends. Downloading now :)

Edit: Well, downloaded the demo and spent the following hour-ish trying to get the thing to run. The game would either lock up my machine or I would hear sound, but get no video. Have an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb on XP Pro x86 running on an AMD X2 3800+. I found out through searching the Epic forums a couple fixes that got me running, though I might share them in case anyone else gets the same problems.

First, I installed the processor driver per a suggestion from one of the devs, can get it here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... Usetup.exe

Second, I navigated to C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\Engine\Config and opened up BaseEngine.ini. Search for the line bInitializeShadersOnDemand and change it from False to True.

After doing both of those steps, the game fired right up and it is sweet! Maxed out the settings and it runs smoooooooooth. I like 8)
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:36 pm

on the system in my sig, the game runs very well at 1440 x 900
I felt very special to be able to check the "Enable Hardware Physics" tab in the settings
I had the task manager running on my second monitor, and it looks like the Beta Demo is only using 2 cores (instead of my total 4) Isn't the game supposed to use all avalible cores?
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 pm

iamwhoiamtoday wrote:I had the task manager running on my second monitor, and it looks like the Beta Demo is only using 2 cores (instead of my total 4) Isn't the game supposed to use all avalible cores?

Not all games are infinitely scalable to multiple cores. Making a game run multithreaded for two threads is complex enough, much less more than that. Some games will scale to all four cores, but I'd imagine most will use only two.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Games