Crysis Beta

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby mugana » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:08 pm

yeah your 8800 gtx will play it on high. Currently, it is almost impossible to play crysis on "very high" with decent framerate.

If you are using the pci-e 6800 gt, i think you should pick up the new 8800 gt that launched yesterday. It costs around $250 and is faster than the 8800 GTS 640mb in most games. I got mine yesterday and i intend to sell my 8800 GTS.
mugana
Initiate
Initiate

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:43 pm

the 6800 is still a decent card... even Crysis isn't worth $250 just to play on higher settings.

in another note, on my gaming rig, I ended up "upgrading" to XP 64-bit last night from Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Crysis still looks fantastic, and I get much better performance with XP then Vista. Yes, I lost Directx 10, BUT, losing a very large amount of system performance just for slightly better graphics just isn't worth it. (Besides, XP is stabler then Vista)
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:42 pm

The next time I upgrade will probably be when Crysis is old, and the "norm" thing to have is at least a 8800. I'm still happy with what it can do, but like any PC gamer out there, I always want more lol.

I was however, able to set the settings all the way to high (with a LOT of lag of course). It's still cool to see what the graphics look like. There is a HUGE difference even from low to medium settings. I suggest you all at least try the higher settings just so you can see what it looks like.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby mugana » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:29 am

I would say that the 6800 gt is a barely adequate card these days, but it shows its age in many new games. Sure, it was great when halflife 2 was the hottest game out back in 2004.Maybe its ok for resolutions under 1600x1200. If it was still a capable card, i would still be using one but obviously it failed to deliver good performance for me in certain games. I would say that a 7900 Gt is a decent card for directx 9 and this card should cost very little today.

I just got my 8800 GT with free quakewars and cannot wait to try it out. I just hope i don't have a bad card that artifacts. I will see if i performs better in crysis than my old 8800 GTS
mugana
Initiate
Initiate

Postby ssamurai26 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:51 pm

mugana wrote:All i know is that pixel shader 3.0 was introduced with direcx9c.

Also, your question was phrased really badly. So what if bioshock has higher system requirements than crysis. That just means that crysis scales back on older hardware. Crysis works on sm 2.0 cards and bioshock simply doesnt ok? bioshock needs sm 3.0 cards. I guess you simply fail to comprehend system requirements

This should not be an issue for people who don't use ancient hardware. I stopped using my 9800 pro centuries ago

Just in case you still cannot understand, here is crysis min req

Minimum Requirements

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 256k+
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

Notice that it supports sm 2.0 cards.

Wow, getting pretty mouthy for someone with so few posts :o :?
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:04 pm

ssamurai26 wrote:
mugana wrote:All i know is that pixel shader 3.0 was introduced with direcx9c.

Also, your question was phrased really badly. So what if bioshock has higher system requirements than crysis. That just means that crysis scales back on older hardware. Crysis works on sm 2.0 cards and bioshock simply doesnt ok? bioshock needs sm 3.0 cards. I guess you simply fail to comprehend system requirements

This should not be an issue for people who don't use ancient hardware. I stopped using my 9800 pro centuries ago

Just in case you still cannot understand, here is crysis min req

Minimum Requirements

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 256k+
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

Notice that it supports sm 2.0 cards.

Wow, getting pretty mouthy for someone with so few posts :o :?

Daft Ada wasn't exactly nice either, and he has 800+ posts. Post count shouldn't make a difference in arguing. High or low, it should not happen at all. It's done though, so no need to bring it up.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ssamurai26 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:34 pm

hunter1801 wrote:Daft Ada wasn't exactly nice either, and he has 800+ posts. Post count shouldn't make a difference in arguing. High or low, it should not happen at all. It's done though, so no need to bring it up.

Oh sure it should. There was nothing said that was all that outrageous. The point I was trying to make is that someone who is known in the community and friends with another poster could easily get away with calling someone`s choice of hardware ancient, or poking fun at them in general, but do you really want to be known for negative comments in your first few posts? And it may be done, but still, it was not that long ago, does that mean I can`t bring it up? It IS a forum afterall. Just pointing something out, not trying to instigate anything here. If I were doing that it would sound more like: "Hey you, why don`t you shut your big fat mouth you n00b." [/12yr old on myspace] See?
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:11 pm

mugana wrote:I would say that the 6800 gt is a barely adequate card these days, but it shows its age in many new games. Sure, it was great when halflife 2 was the hottest game out back in 2004.Maybe its ok for resolutions under 1600x1200. If it was still a capable card, i would still be using one but obviously it failed to deliver good performance for me in certain games. I would say that a 7900 Gt is a decent card for directx 9 and this card should cost very little today.

I just got my 8800 GT with free quakewars and cannot wait to try it out. I just hope i don't have a bad card that artifacts. I will see if i performs better in crysis than my old 8800 GTS

Just try to remember the following things: Most people don't care if they can play games at high resolutions / high settings. the only thing that really matters is that they can play the game. Most of my friends (at school, not the forums) are still running 6600 and x850xt video cards. Fact is, they can still play most games, and they proceed to decimate me at Lan Parties. If you ever want to take a look at the amount of computers out there, just take a look at the Steam Survay. http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Yes, older cards don't hold up that well in new games, but that has always been true. Fact is, the x700 I had back when I joined this forum can still play current games such as Crysis. I just have to drop the resolution and settings to "Low"
Honestly, look at my system. It's more then powerful enough for everything I do on it, and then some. And yet, even though it's very powerful and set for high end / current games, at Lan Parties, the two games that I play are: UT 2004, and Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. Face it, the 6800 may be old, but it can still handle current games just fine. Take a high end system from 2005. Athlon 64 X2, 2gb DDR400, 6800 (possibly SLI), so on so forth, that system is still better then most systems out there. As long as it works, people won't care if their performance is worse then others. Think of it this way, more and more new stuff comes out left and right (2006 is a great example of this. I mean, the "x1k series, AM2, More x1k cards, Conroe, 8800 series" so on so forth.) BUT it would take a very large amount of money to keep up with that curve. I personally cannot justify upgrading anything in my tower for about the next 1.5 - 2 Years (except for Hard Drives) and even then, come 2009, I'm probably just going to put a new video card in the thing, and leave the rest. after a certain point, putting more money into a computer is just throwing it away.

Also, remember the financial side of things. Most people do not have / are not willing to throw a few hundred dollars at their computers just to play 3-4 games at better settings.

/rant. thank you for reading.

Disclaimer: I wrote this late at night, and I'm not entirely sure on what I wrote. *snore*
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby The Dom » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Well, I juist spent two hours trying out the demo. I will say that the graphics, sound and AI is simply the best. It defaulted to very high on all settings and I ran it at 1900x1200 for my 24" monitor. Looked great and was very smooth. No idea what the fps were, but seemed good to me.
Just stay cool in your nano suit and let it recharge your health and you be blasting thru it in no time. :mb_shooting::
Dell xps 410, Vista, 4 gig mem,8800gtx, e6600
68 year old gamer enjoying life

Never have children, only grandchildren. ~Gore Vidal
The Dom
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:20 pm

The Dom wrote:Just stay cool in your nano suit and let it recharge your health and you be blasting thru it in no time. :mb_shooting::

Thats one thing I did notice. The game most likely won't use a "health pack" type system, but more of a recharge naturally system. Hopefully it won't be too easy to stay alive, because that just won't be challenging. I have a feeling there will be a lot of fighting, cloaking, hiding, waiting, and fighting again.

Than again, the point of the game might be the fact that you are in a super hero nano suit, and you are not expected to die at all (as long as you play smart and know when to retreat in a bad situation).
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Games