The Orange Box

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

The Orange Box

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:48 pm

The Orange Box started Pre-Selling today on Steam, for $45. That $45 includes Half Life 2, Half Life 2 episode 1, Half Life 2 episode 2, Portals, and Team Fortress 2. With any luck, the multi-threaded Source engine used in Half Life 2 Episode 2 will carry on over to all of the older Source-based games.

I naturally bought it, and now I can't wait for the 10th of Next Month.
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:10 pm

I don't know if I want to buy it off of steam. I wanted to just get the physical box, but I didn't know if there was difference. Is there any reason to get it off of steam other than "convenience"?
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby cwl157 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:08 am

Hunter1801, i dont know if there is a difference but i agree with you, i still need to have the actual physical game, rather then just a downloaded copy of it.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Roach412 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:01 am

i usually buy any game i play on steam from a storefront... that way i still have the physical copy of it - but i can reap the benefits of being able to download it / update it anywhere at any time.

steam is a fantastic idea - i'm curious though what would happen to my "purchases" if i didn't have the physical copy and steam "went under" or no longer worked. are they required to provide me with physical copies, as i've legally purchased the license? or do the producers of the game provide the copy? anyone?

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:32 am

I like Steam, one stop shop to reinstall, but only if registered. I own several games now available on steam (COH, Dawn of War, X3 Reuinion, Bioshock) But the game keys cannot be recognized on steam. I did when I bough Red Orchestra in store, but not any other game so far. Oh well, can't have the best of both worlds....
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:23 am

Roach412 wrote:i usually buy any game i play on steam from a storefront... that way i still have the physical copy of it - but i can reap the benefits of being able to download it / update it anywhere at any time.

steam is a fantastic idea - i'm curious though what would happen to my "purchases" if i didn't have the physical copy and steam "went under" or no longer worked. are they required to provide me with physical copies, as i've legally purchased the license? or do the producers of the game provide the copy? anyone?

-Roach

I've wondered the same thing....but it's probably like LucasArts or EA games, they're gonna be around forever lol. :lol:
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:47 pm

I have steam and Orange Box. I'll get to orange box in a second but first with the steam downloading and not having a physical copy issue. I'm not at all sure as to what will happen if steam were to die but as far as I can see, that is a long time away and I love the convienence of it. Even if I were to loose $500+ on the deal at least I had a very pleasureful 10-20 years with steam if they die soon. In my opinion it is worth every penny but I do see why you would want the hard copy of the game.

Now to get on with Orange box. I bought it for one reason Team Fortress 2. I can tell you that it is definitley the best game out there for an FPS for me right now. The 9 classes are brilliant and the creator of Team Fortress 2 even says he plans to add more classes to the game in the future. Now I cannot even begin to discuss the gameplay because of how great it is but I will straight up tell you if you have the monney are planning on getting the game and don't mind not having a hard copy get it.

Ok but I do have one problem with the game. The problem is the crashing is insane. Even for a beta this thing will not hold up on my 7300GSOC for 2 minutes. There are so many bugs between my GPU and this game that it isn't worth it if this way to be how the game is played in the future. But I think I have an idea of the problem. I am running a 7300GSOC, my friend is running a 7600GSOC. Both of us can't possibly play over 5 minutes. Now my friend's father has a 8600GTS and his brother has a 6 series. Both of them run the game fine and have yet since release to have a crash. My guess is it is something strictly with either 7 series or our cards. Although I have heard of a few people running higher end 7900GT+ in the 7 series that don't have problems like us. I couldn't tell you what the problem is that way but I can't get in the game and get some good solid playtime because of it. I have literally without exaturation played maybe 30 minutes max and have had at least 20 crashes. The crashes for me are nearly unrecoverable and require a manual restart which is very annoying.

But over all with everyone's reviews and such other than the crashing the game is incredible and the cartoony feeling I love. It is extremely balanced and worth buying under the conditions I preveously stated.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby hunter1801 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:18 pm

Hmm, that sounds like somethings messed up to me. Seeing as how it is the Beta, I can only imagine it will be fixed by release, but still thats weird. That card should be able to handle the game with no problem, so something has to be wrong with the game itself. The ideal requirements to run the game only ask for a 6800. Either way, I think I'm going to wait till release for the hard copy. I just got a job at GameStop, so hopefully I can get a good deal :D
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Snowfire » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:36 pm

hunter1801 wrote:Hmm, that sounds like somethings messed up to me. Seeing as how it is the Beta, I can only imagine it will be fixed by release, but still thats weird. That card should be able to handle the game with no problem, so something has to be wrong with the game itself. The ideal requirements to run the game only ask for a 6800. Either way, I think I'm going to wait till release for the hard copy. I just got a job at GameStop, so hopefully I can get a good deal :D

Congrats! Good to hear it went well for you! I'm thinking that I might want to apply at the one near me... I'm not sure yet though...
Tono Sien

Love is the greatest conspiracy, by the most loving genius.
Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:38 am

hunter1801 wrote:Hmm, that sounds like somethings messed up to me. Seeing as how it is the Beta, I can only imagine it will be fixed by release, but still thats weird. That card should be able to handle the game with no problem, so something has to be wrong with the game itself. The ideal requirements to run the game only ask for a 6800. Either way, I think I'm going to wait till release for the hard copy. I just got a job at GameStop, so hopefully I can get a good deal :D

Yeah I kind of can't see why I couldn't run it but anywyas congratulations on your new job.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Next

Return to Games