Build Critique...

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Build Critique...

Postby mAke7 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:55 pm

Hello folks, first post here and thought id open her up with a question about a build im considering. The system will be used exclusively for online gaming and other multimedia(DVD,Music, etc...).

This will be my first computer built without someone looking over my shoulder (Thanks Dad :P ) So if any of this looks like it might conflict or if you could recommend better please feel free! And also any tips and tricks or links to such for building would be greatly appreciated :wink:

Heres what i've got so far (Minus some small random items...) :
Case: NZXT Nemesis Elite
Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
CPU: AMD 3000+ 90nm 939 1.8ghz
Ram: 2x OCZ PC3200 512mb DDR
Vid: Radeon 9600xt or a GeforceFX 5700 either one will be 256mb
Sound: SB Audigy2 ZS

Toying between 2 80g seagates and which cd burner and dvd burner to get at the moment.

I also have a question. I am going to research exactly what RAID is (call me a newb if ya need to :wink: ) but what are the distinct advantages to that versus normal IDE drives?

So thats all ive gotten so far, still doing some research as I go here. Thanks in advance for any help and of course "Hello!" once more :D
_-_--_---_----_-----_------_-----_----_---_--_-_

Warning: The views expressed in this post are in no way guarunteed to be intelligent, grammatically correct or otherwise helpful. Please accept our deepest apologies...
mAke7
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby EmilyB » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:08 pm

:mb_welcomeMB::

The general build looks very good.

I would opt for the 9600xt over the GF 5700

NEC are very good for optical drives.

Here is a brief introduction to RAID
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articl ... RAID.shtml

Can you share some information on that case, Ive never heard of it before :oops:
EmilyB

Postby Rabidwerewolf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:22 pm

Here you go EB, review of the NZXT Nemesis Elite at Hardcoreware.net

I agree with EB in picking the 9600XT over the GF FX5700.

That build is looking really nice.
Rabidwerewolf
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Copper » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:23 pm

Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby mAke7 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:20 pm

Oops :oops: Sorry for not linking to the case.

Thanks for the link to the RAID explanation EmilyB. Do any of you use it/recommend it over just the normal IDE setup?

Also I am thinking of grabbing a modded PSU from Ultra products...
X-Connect PSU Is that really even necessary or should the one that comes with the case do?

Thx~

Warning: The views expressed in this post are in no way guarunteed to be intelligent, grammatically correct or otherwise helpful. Please accept our deepest apologies...
mAke7
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby snap355 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:47 pm

Raid were meant for reduncancy first and performance second. If you get the sata raptor drives, you won't even need raid. Also with a raid if one of the drive fails, you might not be able to recover everything since the files could be split on the two drives unless you go raid 1 or higher, but then in that case it doesn't justify the cost for a home user. Also with Raid, you do not have a backup of your data. If one file gets corrupted on a Raid 1, the other files on the 2nd drive will also be corrupted so you would still need a backup solution.

If you want to try it out, great. If not, IMO I would advise against it

EDIT

I'll also pick the 9600XT if those were the only choices. And that's a good looking case you got picked out :)
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Peanya » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:11 pm

That looks like a good setup. A good power supply is a good start of a great system. The Ultra's are getting excellent reviews, but if you want better quality, and don't mind giving up a little looks to save money, take a look at Tagan's line. Go to www.newegg.com and put Tagan in the search field. Most of the ones you see there are excellent.
Other great PSU's come from Enermax and Antec as well.

That case looks very sweet. Extremely similar to a modified Lanboy ultra. The PSU it comes with seems awfully cheap, but the review didn't talk about it.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby mAke7 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:02 pm

Ok expanding on the PSU question (sorry folks hehe)...

I keep looking and wondering what wattage I should use. 500? 400? does it really even matter honestly?

Im seeing alot...well ok allof you are saying go with the ATI, just curious as to why? :)

And wow, those Tagan's are a hekuva lot cheaper 8O Thanks Peanya :D

mAke7
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby MGT333 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:02 pm

You want this ram for that amd 64

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 890&depa=1

2 2 2 5 latencies for that memory controller of yours :twisted:
In process of building a new machine
MGT333
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next