dual channel memory

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby HollowPoint69 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:55 pm

Oh, trust me, you are most definitely NOT dense. I still don't fully understand how dual-channel even works, but my guess would be 2x512 is the best option. Can someone please clarify for both of us how dual-channel works?
HollowPoint69

Postby kingdomwinds » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:57 pm

i think it gives more bandwith but its only like a 3 or 4% performance increase from single channel
kingdomwinds

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:06 pm

2x512mb is best. You never want to fill up all four DIMM slots if you don't have to.

Dual channel works by creating two seperate channels to access the memory rather than one.

Treat the two pieces of memory as two different cities. In a single channel setup, you have one highway servicing both cities. In dual channel, it's upgraded to two seperate highways of the same size of the original. For the memory, it means double the possible bandwidth.

They have to be as closely matched as possible. If the internal rows and columns involved in addressing the memory are different, it won't work. The memory controller always assumes identical sticks, so if one is layed out differently, the same signals might not work quite the same for both.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:31 pm

Where are you getting DDR2 from? :?:

Just two matched pair of quality pieces of RAM will work.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby HollowPoint69 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:40 pm

Naw, you just have to have to sticks of regular DDR. Any DDR RAM will work in dual channel as long as you get two identical sticks. DDR2=BAD anyways.

Thanks for the explanation sabre. But why will 2x512 give a performance increase over 1x1gb according to your explanation? If there is only one city, you already have one highway just servicing it then, don't you?
HollowPoint69

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:55 pm

HollowPoint69 wrote:Thanks for the explanation sabre. But why will 2x512 give a performance increase over 1x1gb according to your explanation? If there is only one city, you already have one highway just servicing it then, don't you?

I guess the analogy has its limits.

While the memory controller is accessing a piece of info in one stick, it can also access a piece of info in the other stick. It lets it do two things at once, in effect.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Recommendations