The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:29 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

tribaloverkill wrote:
HA HA HA.

kltsin wrote:
now now lets give the guy a break till he replys.

typing isnt everyones fortay and this attack on that isnt helping anyone

A few people pointing out a issue in a post is enough and leave it at that.

Dont discredit your self by playing with it.

Sorry I didn't mean it to be funny or derogatory in any way. I was serious. If somebody thinks they can build a new cutting edge/gaming computer for 100 to 200 bucks then something is seriously wrong with the way they view the world of computer pricing.

I build and sell computers for a living (on a long break now) and of course for what little profit there is in this industry. If anybody asks me to build/recommend a new gaming computer for that price I will sit them down and bring them up to speed on pricing.

sorry if the truth offends, no offense intended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:59 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

joshvee wrote:
tribaloverkill wrote:
HA HA HA.

kltsin wrote:
now now lets give the guy a break till he replys.

typing isnt everyones fortay and this attack on that isnt helping anyone

A few people pointing out a issue in a post is enough and leave it at that.

Dont discredit your self by playing with it.

Sorry I didn't mean it to be funny or derogatory in any way. I was serious. If somebody thinks they can build a new cutting edge/gaming computer for 100 to 200 bucks then something is seriously wrong with the way they view the world of computer pricing.

I build and sell computers for a living (on a long break now) and of course for what little profit there is in this industry. If anybody asks me to build/recommend a new gaming computer for that price I will sit them down and bring them up to speed on pricing.

sorry if the truth offends, no offense intended.

I wasnt judging anyone, his mistake was obvious though, just didnt need a bunch of fingers pointing at a user mistake no matter how he made the posters here sound like they were just post to be heard.

If he can say that in his orignal topic he may have goated us in to make him correct, i did not want that to happen.

More of pride for this forum than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:23 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

kltsin wrote:

I wasnt judging anyone, his mistake was obvious though, just didnt need a bunch of fingers pointing at a user mistake no matter how he made the posters here sound like they were just post to be heard.

If he can say that in his orignal topic he may have goated us in to make him correct, i did not want that to happen.

More of pride for this forum than anything else.

Point taken and assimilated. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:19 am 
Heh, dude, if you want a good rig, do not go for a) Intel, and b) DDR2. DDR2 is slower than regular DDR and DDR is much cheaper and much more effective. Intel regularly loses to AMD in almost all benchmarks EXCEPT for heavy duty visual media encoding, etc... in which case they tend to tie. If you seriously want a budget system and you underestimated the cost, there is ncih that you are going to get PCI-E in that system. PCI-E is not necessary right now anyways, since AGP is not being fully used yet.

And i'm with kltsin, lighten up on the guy, he just made a mistake :lol:

Post subject: Wonderful
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:46 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Okay, well, seems I've found the way to get everyones attention. Make what appears to be a mistake in your initial post and go from there.

First off the good: Thanks for everyone for their initial comments. (Individual Kudos forth coming.)

Seeing as how it's on everyones mind, the $100-$200 price tag when I was posing my question on motherboards.org was..., no one guessed it, the mother board. (only)

I hadn't thought about putting up the amount totals I was looking to spend on my computer. Frankly It was fairly late and I was tired when I posted.

I will correct that so that people reading the post don't get confused.

Again, thanks and more replies to come.

~The Doc.

Post subject: Okay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:30 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

To be clear here, I had no offence intended with my last comment from the initial post, what I wanted to avoid was the one line response. "Get this ......" Frankly after now having perused the boards a bit, (again something I didn't do earlier this morning when I posted) I realize that that wasn't going to happen.

Offence intended, none; apologies offered, many; lots of advice on mobos/computers, priceless. (anyone as sick of those as I am?)

So from what I'm getting, go with AMD straight out of the gate hm and dump Intel all together. And DDR2 is a white elephant, I'll hunt for it, pay more and in the end get a whole lot of nothing? Same with PCI-e?

~The Doc

Post subject: Re: Okay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:49 am 
docui wrote:
And DDR2 is a white elephant, I'll hunt for it, pay more and in the end get a whole lot of nothing?

In the short term yes. Until the bottlenecks are sorted out DDR2 is not worth it.

docui wrote:
Same with PCI-e?

Not the same no. PCI-E offers greater speeds, but there are no devices available today that actually needs that speed i.e. its there but its just wasted.

Post subject: Re: Okay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:08 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Whew! ahh the motherboard only. OK that makes sense thanks for clearing that up and for not getting scared off by my untactful comments.

EmilyB wrote:
docui wrote:
And DDR2 is a white elephant, I'll hunt for it, pay more and in the end get a whole lot of nothing?

In the short term yes. Until the bottlenecks are sorted out DDR2 is not worth it.

docui wrote:
Same with PCI-e?

Not the same no. PCI-E offers greater speeds, but there are no devices available today that actually needs that speed i.e. its there but its just wasted.

Agreed about the DDR2 (to a degree)

But there is one advantage of getting PCI-E and that is future proofing. You'll have it when the bandwidth is needed by newer cards in 6 months or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:33 am 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Hey docui and welcome to motherboards.org.

Man, I decide to take a nap after being up for nearly 48 straight hours and miss all the fun. :lol:

Well, I see that your budget is between $1300 and $1500, and I’m assuming that is US dollars and that you live in the US so here we go:

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3200+, .90nm Winchester core, 2.0ghz, $194
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN Model CNPS7700-ALCU,$40.99
Board: The nVidia nF4 and VIA K8T890 chipset boards should be available in the next couple of weeks. Both the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and the Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI are going to be nF4 Ultra chipsets based boards. The only board initially to carry the VIA K8T890 chipset will be the Abit A8X. I personally am leaning to the Gigabyte board from the reviews over at Anandtech, but ASUS has put out solid boards so far on the s754 and s939. These boards aren’t going to be cheap so I’m estimating around $200 for one.
RAM: 1GB of OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 PC-3200, $269.50
Video Card: GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT, PCI-E, Model GV-NX66T128D, $189
HardDrive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA, $177
DVD Drive: NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive $68
Floppy Drive: [url=http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=21-103-203&depa=1] Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:52 am 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Whats wrong with the "get this" posts? Thats how you narrow down whats good and whats bad. Once you have an idea of whats good you can then research those to figure out what suits you the best. Oh,... and, I thought it would of been easier right off the start to just say what you wanted instead of the mind game. IMHO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next