The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Start it up!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:21 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Okay folks, here is your chance to earn some interest and get some return on you $.02, I'm looking to build my own pc, (my first) and need to get some advice as it's hard to know what to look for when it comes to the bleeding edge.

To help you out I'll give you all a bit of background so as to not A) Overpower me with your uber-geekness, B) Talk to me like I am a total newb, and C) figure out if you want to even help me out.

Technical experience: Okay I've basically ripped PC's apart and put them back together with little or no trouble. I'm a net/sys admin and while I've never actually put together a pc I'm very confident in my ability to do so. Now, I understand the concepts of mobo hardware though the intricacies of FSB speed vs. overclocking memory vs. (insert truly obsure numbers and stats here).

Desire for this pc: This is going to be my baby. I'll have other pc's to blow up and hex edit system files and generally destory. But this one is going to be my gaming/working/general use PC. Gaming is a primary use, and I'd like to spend a little more now in order to be able to keep up for the next couple of years. Beyond that I'm not into the major video/grapic editing so there's no concern there.

Okay, that said here are a few decisions I've made that will help you wonderful people help me in my choices.

1) Price range: $100~$200 USD. The 200 is a guideline, not a firm number, if ten bucks is going to get me so much more that's cool. And before more people start posting, =) That price tag is for the mobo alone.

1a) Total Price: For total price, I'm thinking in the $1 300~$1 500 range.

2) Processor: I've decided to go Intel.

3) Memory: I'm preferential to the DDR2 at the moment so lets make that a mandatory in the board for now. Feel free to comment on that aspect.

4) Video Card: I'm looking to go PCI-E as I feel this is the way of the video card future. My choice for either NVDIA or ATI hasn't been made yet, so if your reccomendations favour one or the other (or you've found your X800 works wonderfully in your MOBO) please put that in as well.

5) Sound: Well, that one I honestly haven't thought about yet. Any reviews of the built in sound on the mobos would be fabulous, though I do think I'll end up getting a sound card at some point. (My "old" AUDIGY was wonderful)

6) HDD: SATA, probably in a RAID 1 or 0+1 setup.

7) Biases: In my Org. I had to adopt some 'home built' servers. They were cheap old workhorses that never gave us any problems. They all ran ASUS boards and so as such I'm inclined to think kindly on them, but that is the limit of my brand name experience with MOBO on an individual component basis.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. If any of you ask questions with regards to some of the major components, I'll reply in a post and change this initial posting as well.

Thanks again folks, I really look forward to your suggestions. And please, if possible don't just give me a make/model/price, (the motherboards.org version of a/s/l I guess.) Give me some of that brain matter and tell me why! =)

Cheers!

~The Doc.
My Edit Colour is Blue.

Last edited by docui on Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:08 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Umm for $100 to $200, you can get a CPU... what about the rest of the parts?

Post subject: Re: Start it up!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:13 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

docui wrote:
Okay, that said here are a few decisions I've made that will help you wonderful people help me in my choices.

1) Price range: $100~$200 USD. The 200 is a guideline, not a firm number, if ten bucks is going to get me so much more that's cool.

$100~$200 for what? a video card in a gaming machine?

What about total system cost do you have a number?

docui wrote:
2) Processor: I've decided to go Intel.

Decide to go intel?
Why?
AMD has beaten down intel in many users minds, they run cooler, are optimised for future 64bit applications, better bang for the buck.

docui wrote:
3) Memory: I'm preferential to the DDR2 at the moment so lets make that a mandatory in the board for now. Feel free to comment on that aspect.

Im prefferential to a 36 24 36 and having a 12" @#$%.

I see where you are going, your UBER system...

How much you got to spend?
The way you are going you should set up a dual cpu server system, I have just the guy that can chew your ear off about spending some money as well

docui wrote:
4) Video Card: I'm looking to go PCI-E as I feel this is the way of the video card future. My choice for either NVDIA or ATI hasn't been made yet, so if your reccomendations favour one or the other (or you've found your X800 works wonderfully in your MOBO) please put that in as well.

you wont find a pci-e for gpu for under $300, since agp is doing just fine at the moment this is a waste of money unless you go sli where you can run to cards as one via a connector, they have to be a matched set though

docui wrote:
5) Sound: Well, that one I honestly haven't thought about yet. Any reviews of the built in sound on the mobos would be fabulous, though I do think I'll end up getting a sound card at some point. (My "old" AUDIGY was wonderful)

Since nvidia soundstorm hit a wall when nforce3 came out onboard audio is below par....

docui wrote:
6) HDD: SATA, probably in a RAID 1 or 0+1 setup.

cant argue with that....

docui wrote:
7) Biases: In my Org. I had to adopt some 'home built' servers. They were cheap old workhorses that never gave us any problems. They all ran ASUS boards and so as such I'm inclined to think kindly on them, but that is the limit of my brand name experience with MOBO on an individual component basis.

Asus is in the top 5.
ABIT has seem to have a huge allaince with users for its features/options, ability to over clock, design, bios, quality etc...
One of the best if not the best
Theres also MSI and some Gygabyte boards which should not be discounted, personally I like abit then asus then msi...

docui wrote:
Thanks again folks, I really look forward to your suggestions. And please, if possible don't just give me a make/model/price, (the motherboards.org version of a/s/l I guess.) Give me some of that brain matter and tell me why! =)
My Edit Colour is Blue.

Hmm dont know how to respond to this..
Sounds like an insult to peoples posts, it could have been worded better as please give me some facts or back up your statement with some reasons etc..

Im sure you didnt mean any harm and will take it as that..

--------------------------------------------

I have a feeling alot of people may go after you on that Intel instead of AMD 939 cpus for good reason.

Once you find a cpu you should then find a chipset that you like or that we will tell you to like so to speak.

The chipset is the one that decides all of the goodies such as audio, cpu, raid , firewire, memory type etc...

Then find a good motherboard that has that chipset.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:16 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Peanya wrote:
Umm for $100 to $200, you can get a CPU... what about the rest of the parts?

That's what I was thinking. $200 is not going to build a PC, especially one like you are describing. You're talking closer to $1000.

As far as your parts choices, they're somewhat okay. You'd be better of going with AMD instead of Intel. Cooler temps, cheaper, and more efficient. Also AMD is better at gaming than comparable Intels. DDR2 is a waste of money. It is slower than regular DDR because of its heightened latencies. No true performance gains.

I'd advise a good AMD socket 939 board with your choice of either a Via chipset or (my choice) one of the up coming NForce 4 chipsets. Besides that, you can decide on either an AGP graphics card or a PCIe graphics card. I'm going to build a socket 939 NForce 4 rig with a PCIe card in April 2005 or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:33 am 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

WHA HA HA HA!! 200 dollars,... if 10 dollars is going to get me that much more then thats ok!!! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:34 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

I think he meant $1000 to $2000. Lets just go with that and he can tell us otherwise.

Heres my scoop on what to get.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard.
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A8N ... e&langs=09

AMD Athlon 64 Bit 939 3600+
Nvidia FX6800 Ultra
two sticks of 512MB Corsair TWINX1024-4400C25
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/pr ... 400C25.pdf

This Asus motherboard has 2 PCI E slots so you can later upgrade and buy a second FX6800 Ultra and run the vid cards in SLI configuration. It also has onboard a very sweet 8 channel surround sound. so no need for a sound card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:44 am 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

I dont knoiw,... he screwed up the 1000, the 2000, and said that $10 is ok if it brings him that much more performance. For that much more performance,... of course $10 is ok! Maybe he meant 100?!?!? I dont know. Funny stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:59 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

tribaloverkill wrote:
I dont knoiw,... he screwed up the 1000, the 2000, and said that $10 is ok if it brings him that much more performance. For that much more performance,... of course $10 is ok! Maybe he meant 100?!?!? I dont know. Funny stuff.

Hmmm you got a point there. In which case he needs a reality check on pricing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:03 am 
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

HA HA HA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:22 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

now now lets give the guy a break till he replys.

typing isnt everyones fortay and this attack on that isnt helping anyone

A few people pointing out a issue in a post is enough and leave it at that.

Dont discredit your self by playing with it.