6600GT brands

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

6600GT brands

Postby vespoli » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:03 pm

for my next build, i am planning to use asus a8n-e premium with athlon 64 3200+ 939. but im not here to talk about that.

the GPU i am planning to use is the nvidia gefore 6600gt. at newegg,
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp? ... =48&DEPA=1
there are cards by
chaintech
aopen
gigabyte
xfx
leadtek
evga
albatron.

i am considering, the cards in bold, the chaintech, gigabyte, and xfx cards, but i do not know how to choose between these brands. if you would recommend any other brands besides these three, say so.

thanks!
vespoli
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dallascisco » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:14 pm

In this order Evga, xfx, leadtek

I prefer gainward for nvidia gpu's though.
dallascisco
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby HollowPoint69 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Word with Evga being your first choice, and then XFX.

Don't go chaintech, I hear their tech support is terrible and they have many problems.
HollowPoint69

Postby vespoli » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:36 pm

between your two recommendations, the evga
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 214&depa=1
and the xfx
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 078&depa=1

i think i might go with the xfx once its back in stock, because its about $12 cheaper and includes a bunch of 3d games. wise choice, or is the evga worth that extra money and loss of games?
vespoli
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ATrebeau » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:35 pm

A very trusted soul, here, put me on the video card track of getting an eVGA card, if at all possible. Why? eVGA follows Nvidia's original technical specifications more closely than anyone else when designing their cards; ie, they build to work with Nvidia's original intent for the chipset.

Just remember...I didn't say it was Sabrewings that told me this...shhhhhh!

Also, Nvidia updates their drivers as often as needed or when a new platform evolves or changes are made to such; ie, great, great support.
AMD 940 | Abit AN78GS | 4GB GSkill 1066| EVGA 9800 GTX+ SC | Corsair VX550 | Sunbeam CCC | Antec 300

i7-980X | GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0) | Corsair D GT DDR3-2000 6GB | MSI GTX 480 | Corsair 750W | True Black | CM Storm Sniper
ATrebeau
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Peanya » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:42 pm

Most all brands use the Nvidia reference design. It costs less to do that than making your own. Chaintech is a different story, for some reason they insist on making their own, with far cheaper quality parts. :roll:
But yes, eVGA is a good brand, I have one myself :wink:
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby EmilyB » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:39 am

Although I run an ATI. I do have some experience of Gainward, and I think theyre fairly good, although Ive heard a lot of good stuff about eVGA.
EmilyB

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:56 pm

Gem wrote:sorry if im slow here, but how can you run that card with your current mobo Peanya? doesnt it need a PCIe slot?

The 6800GT is available in an AGP version. The AV8 has an AGP port.

Gem wrote:better Q is what is a PCIe ? heh i cant seem to find any mobo's with that feature

PCIe (PCI Express) is replacing the aging PCI bus and the AGP port. It'll take a long time to replace AGP as it is a very widely used technology. There is no performance benefit for PCIe over AGP (for now). But, PCIe does offer a LOT more bandwidth for future high end cards. And, like it or not, it will eventually replace AGP.

Many mobos support PCIe. There're a lot of Intel platform boards that support PCIe, but it is working its way over to the AMD platform. Here is the ABIT AX8, which is just like the AV8 except it features PCIe.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/pro ... &model=215
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations