Server monitoring

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Server monitoring

Post by EvLwMn »

Not sure if this is the forum for this so if one of the mods thinks it needs moved please feel free.

Anyway - geeks - I need some input from you all.

I need to monitor a server. This server is basically serving a web site and a SQL database. It's running W2K3 using IIS 6.0 and SQL Server 2000.

What I need to do is basic. I need to monitor web traffic, server health and log files including SQL database logs. I need the software to be configurable to alert me to the presence of any problems based on threshholds I set in the software. I need to know when/if I am getting low on bandwidth, when/if the web site is losing connectivity or speed, when/if databases are not functioning or getting too large, etc.

I need to know when the server is getting critical so I can catch it and fix it before it crashes. I would like the software to be configurable to restart services when they crash or to restart the machine if/when necessary and to alert me to it's actions.

So basically in a nut shell - I need to be able to monitor all aspects of this server and be notified of problems or automated server actions.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by snap355 »

MOM (Microsoft Operations Manager) or NetIQ are some of the more popular ones
tupac
Initiate
Initiate

Post by tupac »

You might be able to do many of the things you want with windows scripting host and WMI / VB script maybe put it in an HTML application. It can monitor anything windows monitors like bandwidth or disk capacity etc- then it could notify you with email or do anything that windows could do (restart a service). I think there's a tool called scriptomatic written by ppl at microsoft that will get you started and it's free.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by EvLwMn »

Thanks for the suggestion tupac. I think my employer wants to purchase some sleazy easy application so any idiot could monitor the server (you know, in case I get hit by a bus or something).

I had heard about NetIQ snap355. In fact I went out to their site yesterday and was checking it out. Looks OK - I need to send them an email and get the particulars. I've also heard of MOM but have never used it or seen it used. I'll have to look into that one too as I have noticed a lot of companies are using it.

I found another one yesterday while I was doing research - ServerAssist: http://www.serverassist.com/

Has anyone ever heard of it?

Has anyone here ever actually used MOM or NetIQ?

Thanks for your suggestions dudes. I appreciate any input I can get as I'll probably be making some kind of recommendation to the powers that be next week some time. :D
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by snap355 »

MOM I hardly touch since the company went under. NetIQ are ok, kinda expensive for what you want to do but it's so robust that's overwhelming. There are many modules for it. Good luck with NetIQ
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by EvLwMn »

Gee - I know I'm a little late with this - got very busy at work.

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this. I'll be thinking about this over the weekend and will be making a recommendation to my boss on Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks again everyone! 8)