Video/Audio upgrade recomendations for this system

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Video/Audio upgrade recomendations for this system

Postby Ol Dave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Hello all!
It's been awhile since I've been here. The system that fellow members help me put together has served me so well, I've not needed much help in awhile. However, the video system is showing it's age now on new games and I'm thinking of some changes. Example is COD WWII. I've always liked the COD series, especially those based on real campaigns. Anyway, with the new release my graphics are not really up to the task. It will run, but the drivers are sub-standard according to the games itself. The cards are old now. So I'm wondering if upgrading the video card(s) will solve this issue and is the rest of the system still good enough. I still use this system daily and have never had any issues running most games at max res up til now.

Additionally, I think it's time to upgrade the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 to something that supports WASAPI at 192/24 for digitizing LP's and tapes. I have been using Audacity with good success. Looking of audio quality here over gaming bells and whistles.

System Details are:
Thermaltake Saprano
Asus Crosshair Formula IV
AMD 970
8 gig ram
PSU 1000W OZC
2 x 5870 in crossfire
Win 7-64 pro
Samsung 850 500g SSD boot dr
WD 2T data

If it helps, Win 7 experience is 7.4 based on the CPU. Mem is 7.5 and data tsfr and graphics is 7.6

Appreciate your thought and suggestions.
Ol Dave
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Video/Audio upgrade recomendations for this system

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 am

If t;he video hardware is still in good condition, then maybe just a driver update will do the magic touch. Having a minimum 1 GB dedicated video memory should cover more than 99% of needs, unless doing CAD rendering.
The video cards do gather dust and debris, so ensure clean device cards, regardless of function. Same too for the CPU cooler and PSU innards. Maybe once yearly, do a "housecleaning". In homes where daily vacuuming is done, more airborne debris is created. And even in homes where no one smokes, cooking fumes can coat electronics.
If the game or program refers to an optical disk during use, then perhaps that is a bottleneck.
The laser lens on optical drives is an attractive target for debris. May be worth taking the unit out, opening and cleaning the lens with plain water and just a drop of dish soap. Never use any cleaning product with ammonia in it!
Never, ever, look at a laser source without proper eye protection. It can permanently blind you in seconds.
Still a requirement to defrag a hard drive now and then. If only a "C" partition, it can become badly fragmented in less than a week of daily use.
Gaming programmers like to use the 'latest and greatest' hardware. But another adage, 'if it isn't broke, don't replace it'.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ol Dave » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for the quick response Karlsweldt! Your advise and others were instrumental in the build back when I put this thing together.

A good cleaning is probably due even if that doesn't solve this particular issue. The game itself advises that a specific driver is needed to run the game, however AMD doesn't seem offer that driver for these cards. That I've found so far anyway. I have updated the video driver and Catalyst control software regularly and a few days ago in hopes it would help, but to no avail. I'll get the drive numbers and report back with those. Perhaps that might reveal something useful. As far as the drives, the game doesn't use the optical although I'm sure they could use some cleaning as well. Good advise on the laser though. My eyesight doesn't need further derogation as age is already playing a part in that.

Any thoughts on good sound cards?

Thanks much!
Ol Dave
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 am

For possible latest and best drivers for features, check the Microsoft® "options" update page. They sometimes do a bit of 'tweaking' to drivers that are not 100% up to the WHQL standards, and return to the original source. But finding the desired hardware model and driver from the program provider may be the only solution.
As to sound cards, check reviews on what are listed as great. The on-board audio feature can be almost as good as the add-in feature, with up to 7.1 channels of sound. But what good is 'overkill' if you only output in 2 or 4 channels? Equalizers, mixers, synthesizers, companders, decouplers are all optional. If the data for decoding each channel of sound is not in the audio file, you can't get more out than what was put in.
If a program was installed and registered as intended, normally no need for the install disk for reference. But sometimes yes, and properly reading that miniscule data track from a disk requires that the laser lens be squeaky clean.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 am

5870's are old video cards. Things have really moved on. You would be better getting a GeForce GTX 1060Ti 6Gb (not the 3Gb version). The difference is phenomenal. I upgraded the lads GTX 960Ti to a 6Gb 1060Ti for VR use and it blew the lower card away in sharpness, frame rate and rendering. I still use an ATI HD7770 on my main system as I don't play games anymore, it does the job for general stuff.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Roach412 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 am

I'd agree a 1060 or 1070 would make a massive improvement.

Jumping from a 660ti to my current 1070 was an amazing boost in performance.

-R
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Ol Dave » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Apologies for the delayed response!

Thanks for the good suggestions. Is the 1060ti compatible with the MB?

The cost is not in the budget right now, but something to save for maybe. By the time I have scrapped 500 to 600 for this card there may be a better or less expensive choice...LOL

As always, I appreciate the help!!
Ol Dave
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr T » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:00 am

Ol Dave wrote:Apologies for the delayed response!

Thanks for the good suggestions. Is the 1060ti compatible with the MB?

The cost is not in the budget right now, but something to save for maybe. By the time I have scrapped 500 to 600 for this card there may be a better or less expensive choice...LOL

As always, I appreciate the help!!

Yes, it is compatible. There is better, but better is more $$$$...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Recommendations