Micro Computers

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Micro Computers

Postby c327 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 am

I was reading an article about micro computers and was surprised to see so many companies making them or their bare bones versions of them.

I know the big box desktop pcs have all but become museum pieces. I know some here still have them. I see they are really small. But being so small just how much computer power do they really have and just how good is the graphics.

A good quality laptop can set you back $2000. without to much effort. So which way to go?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Micro Computers

Postby Mr T » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am

Depends what you want to do. Gaming is out, but a high end i7 NUC will do well on editing stuff and some low powered games.. The lower end ones with Celerons, you can web surf, watch HD video (well),edit stuff, office stuff and so on. They are pretty good (I have six intel varients and all run HD stuff very well). If you want to save money on power, want a nearly instant on device (use an SSD) with a big monitor, thats the way to go. For me it was barebones, add 4 to 8Gb DDR 3L (low power 1.35v rather than 1.5v), 32mb Mini PCi-e SSD, HD out to monitor, install Ubuntu or linux Mint, install KODI and you have a really good media centre.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Recommendations