Upgrade Advice please

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Upgrade Advice please

Postby mojo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 am

Hi folks :wave:

You were very nice and helpful previously, and it was wonderful not to get any of that 'wow, that's so old', 'not much point upgrading that', or 'just get a new one' stuff, so I'm hoping for some more of that [-o<

My PC has been giving me little hints lately that it's time for a bit of pampering.. Y'know, the odd little cough and splutter, and going through a tantrum phase.. lol (sometimes hangs, then takes 2 or 3 restarts to get her going again. Very reluctant to wake up at times, and 'separation issues' (goes into a 'coma' after locking/leaving a while). However, a bit of TLC with extra scans/cleaning/scanning etc. seems to have helped, and she's been stable for the last week or so.. But..

I'm thinking a better GPU may get me another year or so, and would like a little help/advice on that score.

Checking my posts here suggests that I build this machine ~ 8 years ago!! I was thinking more like 5, so.. I'm pretty good at getting my money's worth I guess! (sometimes). My previous build lasted me a good while too :glasses8:

Anyway, please can you suggest the best graphics card that my current system will handle, whilst not bottlenecking the new GPU. It does everything I need it to plenty good enough for me, and since I just spent an alarming amount on my car's Service/MOT, I'll be more than happy with a good GPU upgrade. Oh, and I'll be getting a used one to get more 'bang for my buck' :megagrin:

Asus M4A78T-E
Phenom II x3 720
R7 200 series
16GB RAM
Antec Earthwatts 500W

Was looking at something like a GTX 960, but according to this, not much point..

TIA :happy10:

EDIT: Changed title in hope of response..
mojo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Upgrade Advice please

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 am

Should I assume that it's not worth bothering..? :(
mojo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 am

hard to say - I mean, for that board and power supply you're looking at something like a 750ti to that gtx 960 or similar (for nvidias). depending on whether you can find it cheap it might be worthwhile.

what kind of resolutions are you using? standard 1080p? 1440? higher resolution would benefit from a larger memory card...

you're just not going to get a ton of oomph without more power or a larger investment.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks.

Yeah, according to that link I posted, there doesn't look to be much difference between the 3 GPUs.. The 960 comes out a bit ahead.. Is that the highest spec/best card that'll go in my mobo without bottlenecking..?

I'm using 1440x900

R7-280X
mojo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:22 am

to my knowledge - and I'm going to warn it's not what it used to be - but I'm inclined to say you have about the best performing platform you can have with your current motherboard.

getting a faster GPU won't likely give much gains - as you are probably topping out your CPU (if gaming). you don't have much higher to go with CPU either, which will probably reach the tipping point of your GPU. upgrading both would give you the gains you probably want, but then you're dumping a couple hundred into it - and you'd be halfway to a whole new build, with modern components, at that point.

somebody else might chime in with their experiences with the phenoms and R7's (as I don't have any directly, just through others), but I think you built a solid rig when you did...and it's time to think about putting it out to pasture.

-Roach
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby mojo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:32 am

Hehe, thanks Roach :mb_thanx:: Not surprising, but reassuring to know that I did a good job :)

The only game I play really is GW, which my PC can handle easily. I think I'm harder on it when I'm browsing or faffing about with images. I'm a bit of a 'tab freak', often having 20+ tabs open between FF and Chrome at the same time, as well as a couple of other programs such as Gimp, LibreOffice Calc., etc.. I was worse, but I try to impose a rule that if they're disappearing off the screen (FF) or too squished up (Chrome) I have to close some :roll:

My son plays Minecraft on here when he can :hmph: ... 'Issues' seem to follow.. :snorting: Looking at Minecraft's 'blockiness' your average person might expect it to be less CPU/GPU intensive, but I tell him it's probably because you can actually edit the environment in MC, so there's so much more work for the processors to do...

Anyway, I think I've made some progress... *touch wood*. I often have the side of the case off, as I've noticed lately how much heat comes out of there. Apart from the CPU, GPU and PS fans, the only other fan in there is a case fan which has never worked lol. I put some new thermal paste on the CPU a couple of days ago: the old stuff was like plaster.. :oops: I tried to fix the fan too: thought I'd succeeded, but no, so I'll get a new one.

I guess if I want to keep her going as long as possible, my next step could.. may.. be... overclocking.. Always avoided.. scary... :o

P.S: Nice-looking rig you have there Roach. I might build something like that myself... - in about 3 years :laughing1:
mojo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 am

if you start being tempted to go down the overclock route, I'd invest in cooling as your #1, and power as your #2.

you didn't mention your case - but, high flow case fans of all sizes are pretty cheap. I got some really nice ones a while back - a combination of high airflow and high static pressure for my case.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L6 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6 ... UTF8&psc=1

For about 40 bucks it made a big difference in and temps(lower), without sacrificing sound...also just a bit of ambiance with the lighting. I went with red just because my gaming area could use backlighting and I wanted to keep it non-invasive for the dark.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B00L64NFYC

as for power - you don't want to be mucking around with either old or lower-powered PSU's.

This rig has served me well for quite some time now. I used to rebuild every 18 months, but...the wife doesn't necessarily approve, and I don't game hard on it 4-8 hours every day like I used to(in the glory days of singledom). Just don't have the need, or cashflow it seems lately, to go much above what I have now. It plays everything I need it to at high/ultra levels for the time being - the GPU was a big help going up to 1070...which I don't have updated on the sig, as I had a 660ti previously...and a 560ti prior to that, all on the same base machine.

If you're ever in the market for a 560ti or 660ti they are still sitting on my bookshelf... :lol:
-Roach
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby mojo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:14 am

No I didn't mention the case: it looks nice enough, but is just some bog standard thing. I think that may be one way to tell between a 'fiddler' and a proper hardware geek haha.

I always seem to fit in the 'no man's land' in life.. in this case, I know a lot more than most of the people I know, but a lot less than someone like yourself. Ahh well.

Don't know much about cases: aren't they just the boxes that hold your components together? :lol: :P Although I do have a case I almost drool over.. it's sitting under another desk with ancient hardware inside it..It's a Zalman ZMachine GT1000 (titanium colour). I love it because it's heavy, has blue lights, has mean looking fans (the CPU fan is a monster: big, heavy thing with copper 'fins' around it: over 5" in diameter! and 2 case fans built in), and just feels solid and well made. My next PC will be built in that case. I reckon it was decent gaming rig at some point..? -
Asus P5AD2-E Premium,
Pentium 4 3.40GHz CPU
The tallest RAM I've ever seen: 2" high Corsair 'Dominator' 2048mb (wow! lol), and
a big brick of a GPU: ATi Radeon X1900 512 MB, ~9" long! :o

I just took it apart and gave it a good clean in the process of checking its parts hehe. May as well add new thermal paste and see what happens.. Another Ubtuntu to upgrade I expect.. meh

Anyway, I digress... I would have tried to get one of those fans you linked to, but I've already bought a cheapie Arctic fan. The new 'glue' and fan, plus a good air blow has really made a difference. It's now 'cool and quiet', and running nicely. There's an annoying graphics glitch which I need to look into - a kind of pixellated rectangle-ish patch which flickers on the mid-right of the screen intermittently, but not too bothersome at present.

I've made a mental note of your cooling/power tip. I think I'm happy with the cooling aspect for now, but I'll get a bigger PS before doing much tweaking (if I do..) ~600w..?. Possibly will wait till I've 'moved into' the Zmachine too.. better fan power. There isn't really any place to put another fan in my current case I don't think..

I'd get those GPUs on ebay if I were you. Will probably be ages before I actually upgrade to anything they'll fit in.. :(
mojo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby mojo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:55 am

Good grief. Your PSU is obscene! :o

(looked it up as my Antec NEO480 is dead)
mojo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:18 am

Reading through this old post, if you want to upgrade get a PhenomII x6 1090T 3.2Ghz (ebay for it). A really good CPU. Your RAM is good. Get a better CPU cooler. Then add (if you can afford) an Nvidia GTX 1060 for the gaming. It out classes AMD GPU's and does the biz on high res gaming (set it up with the stepsons PC for HTC Vive VR and it is really good and still working well now - shows you don't need an intel i5 or better). Your power supply may do, but I would update that to a 750w or greater - you can take it to the next build then...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Recommendations