modem replacement

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

modem replacement

Postby mooresmsr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:43 pm

I just signed up for cox tv/internet/phone (although I don't use the phone feature. The internet is 300 mb, (yes, I don't know how I can justify it, but it was $15/month more). The service comes with their modem, which is an Arris Touchstone model TG2472G (says on the bottom 42 mb upstream). I don't have any problems with the modem that I can detect, but using the cox modem costs me $11.95/month. It does have a phone jack on it, but, as I said, I don't use the phone service, and can't envision a time I would go buy a land-line phone for it.

Current use is 1 desktop PC, two samsung phones, 1 samsung tablet, and occasional netflix/amazon/hulu streaming. Three tv sets, all usually driven from the tv feature, very, very occasional streaming. No streaming from phone or tablet, other than the occasional facebook video.

I would like to replace the thing with an as-good-or-better modem. Can someone recommend a device or two?
mooresmsr
Initiate
Initiate

Re: modem replacement

Postby Roach412 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:00 am

You need to verify with your provider which modems are acceptable on their network. Not all hardware is allowed, even if you purchase it. They should have a list of all compatible modems, once you have that I would narrow it down to 2 or 3 based on user reviews(trying to focus on your provider's users specifically).

Once you have a couple contenders, I think there could be some input from the boards.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: modem replacement

Postby mooresmsr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:49 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll start down the Cox road today.
mooresmsr
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Recommendations