i7 6-core systems for multiple 4K TV/Monitor office use?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

i7 6-core systems for multiple 4K TV/Monitor office use?

Postby jgy2001 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am

We are planning to built new Intel i7 6 core systems running on Windows 7.
Need to drive multiple (2 to 4) HDMI TV/Monitors. One 4K TV monitor, one 1080p TV monitor, one DVI monitor.
Need to have 3 SATA socket (solid state drive, hard drive, optical disc drive).
systems will be use in office, demo and other graphic, streaming & video. Some decryptering & DVD read/writing.
not gaming systems

We are flexible with CPU or chip sockets. In ATX formats. No water cooling.
Do you recommend any Asus X99 specific models or other made fit our purpose?
jgy2001
Initiate
Initiate

Re: i7 6-core systems for multiple 4K TV/Monitor office use?

Postby jgy2001 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:51 pm

systems will be use in office, demo and other graphic & 4K video, extensive decrypting work.

not gaming systems
jgy2001
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

The graphic software could be CAD software which calls for a beefy graphics card. Indeed different from a gaming card.
The decrypting might call for a beefy multicore CPU but that depends on the software. In that case a Xeon CPU might be better for the task, workstation calass rather than desktop class. If the software supports it, that too may be done by the graphics card. I would check the minimum/recommended specs first for the decrypting software as that seems to be the biggest strain on the machine.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jgy2001 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:00 pm

thanks, evasive,
we mainly plan our systems to provide good looking UHD video to drive the 4K TV during demo.
So, we want to upgrade new motherboards to deliver HDMI 2 videos. Or, should we use graphic card to do this?
Do recommend any motherboards we should select from?

our current i7-4XXXK CPU already has sufficent horse power to perform video decrypting to decode/encode DVD & Blu-Ray videos.
jgy2001
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:31 am

As Evasive noted, workstation class systems would be a lot better for what you want to do. Stability is obviously a must over 'overclocking', so a workstation motherboard, XEON CPU's, ECC RAM and decent workstation graphics cards would be required as is a decent high quality power supply. If you wish to do this cheaply, definately go for i7 CPU's and a workstation motherboard - look at a high end graphics card for the 4k work or preferably two in SLI (nVidia - at least the 6GB GTX 1080) or ATI's xfire.

What I mainly noted is going with windows 7. If you plan on building systems to suit your needs, windows 7 licence keys are like rocking horse manure, unless you have your own. Windows 10 isn't great, but is less 'clunky' now than windows 7 (I mainly use Linux, but windows 10 too with windows 7 at work. Windows 7 looks, feels and runs very poorly compared to windows 10, but thats my view and that is down to software that you wish to run - bear in mind if you run windows, expect better drivers for windows 10, which in turn means better 4K support (especially in VR)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby jgy2001 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Thank you Mr. T
Yes, we are now looking at i7 8 or 6-core workstation motherboard. Should we go for LGA1151 or LGA2011-v3 socket motherboard?
Do you have any particular multi-media motherboard you have excellent results, with heavy emphasis on 4K TV HDMI 2 output.
We do not mind going on the higher pricing with quality and stable platform as the key.
We have good success with ASUS mb. Any recommendation?

BTW, Mr. T. good to see your resume write up. We were the original S100 board geeks. We got laugh at or ignored all the time.
jgy2001
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 am

http://www.s100computers.com/

Interesting. So until this day new boards are designed? What flavours of Linux run on this?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jgy2001 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 am

Way off topic. Skidmarks....

Oh, my goodness, there is still S100 gears around? WOW. I gave mine (nice blue IMSAI box) away when I was allowed to get mine PC home. (I was on "that" project).
Well, actually, S100 is basically 100 pins back plane passive PCB with vertical connectors. No active device onboard except power with heavy transformer.
I started with papertape boots. The choice operate system was CPM which was much advance than anything at that time, that include DOS. (Monterey would have been center of the universe instead of Redmond). We stopped at 8 bit Z80 uP. We never done much with the 16 bits 8086 nor 6800.

Well..... think about the golden old day when we had club meeting every Thursday evening at the Dysan building.
jgy2001
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:42 am

evasive wrote:http://www.s100computers.com/

Interesting. So until this day new boards are designed? What flavours of Linux run on this?
No linux then it was all machine code and BASIC.. I filled 16K with basic, saved it to cassette tape and ran it for it to crash immediately. Went to reload it from tape and the tape screwde up.. Took me to days type it in (ZX81 - no proper keyboard, no USB, no PS2). I learned machine code on a Z80a trainer which just had a 'calculator' keypad. Once you can add and subtract you can then multiply and divide - then it was all about timers and countdowns.. Forgot it all as life took over!

jgy2001, if you hve good suucess with ASUS boards, stay with them. Also register for support - vital for business.. For 4K output, you need a graphics card that will output that. (I recommend Nvidia GTX 1080 with at least 8Gb of RAM, most brands are fine and very similar, good results with MSI, esp on VR)...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby jgy2001 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:34 am

Thank you Mr. T.
8G for graphic card? That's for gamer? Our applications are only video (from streaming demo). Isn't 2G enough for 4K video? These graphic card only has one HDMI 2 output, right?

We need HDMI outputs for at least 2 to 3 displays.
Our previous systems were Intel mb. But, now, ASUS workstation mb. Any particular one?

As for machine language programming, we use "Assembly" coding Instructions, such as Load, Move, Shift, etc. Our inital I/O device were the "teletype". It was noisy next to my baby room. Our most useful application via telephone analog modem, were "Telex" to communicate with overseas suppliers. 25 cents per character by MCI. No FAX nor internet yet. We felt bliss with our "own" 8 bit computer at home. Then, Basic which stand alone, was expensive, came along.
jgy2001
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Recommendations