Bare-bones (non-integrated) motherboard

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Bare-bones (non-integrated) motherboard

Postby morphex » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 am

Hi.

I'm looking for a bare-bones motherboard, that has simple VGA support, can be booted and can be accessed by a keyboard.

The simpler and cheaper the better.

Regards,

Morten
morphex
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Bare-bones (non-integrated) motherboard

Postby Mr T » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Get any mini itx board with an intel atom or amd varient. Add RAM and you are good to go. Some are powered with a laptop PSU, most are with an ATX PSU. Avoid any board with a Via CPU - Linux had an issue with the GPU output causing a black screen on boot..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby morphex » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Hello Mr T!

Mr T wrote:Get any mini itx board with an intel atom or amd varient. Add RAM and you are good to go. Some are powered with a laptop PSU, most are with an ATX PSU. Avoid any board with a Via CPU - Linux had an issue with the GPU output causing a black screen on boot..

OK. Well I'm looking at Mini-ITX boards, but it also seems difficult to find those without a lot of other intergrated bits.

I have to add that some connector on the board, for example PCI, USB3.0 etc. have to be there as well, so that additional features can be added to the board.

-Morten
morphex
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:41 am

Before we are going in the wrong direction, what are you planning to use the board for? Any size restrictions? What is the absolute maximum you want to spend per each and is that just for the board or the basic combo (board/cpu/memory)?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby morphex » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:49 am

evasive wrote:Before we are going in the wrong direction, what are you planning to use the board for? Any size restrictions? What is the absolute maximum you want to spend per each and is that just for the board or the basic combo (board/cpu/memory)?

Hi there Evasive. :)

Well, I'm looking for something that I can use as a basis for different applications, if it is a router, gaming box, media center etc. That's why I'm looking for something basic and non-integrated, so I can add bits with the exact features, change out broken components etc.

From what I gather, larger boards can have more space between components, so there is a less need for extra fans because natural heat dissipation does some of the work.

Also, if a board has PCI Express, I gather that I can add any feature through a PCIe card, if it is a harddrive, USB card, network card, graphics card etc.

So anything from a very small motherboard to a large or extra large one is interesting.
morphex
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:25 am

Sounds more like you want to go into Raspberry Pi kind of system...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby morphex » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:20 am

evasive wrote:Sounds more like you want to go into Raspberry Pi kind of system...

I do have several Raspberry Pi systems, and no, that's not what I need. :)

-Morten
morphex
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Recommendations