Replacement for ASUS P8Z77ws

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for ASUS P8Z77ws

Postby Mr T » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 am

I personally still won't touch MSI motherboards as they are boomerang boards - always go back... That for me has not changed since Pentium 2 days...

Have a look at the ASRock X99 series, esp the Fatality Pro boards - have used loads of ASRock board over the years with virtually no issues..

You may be bottlenecked by the 9800 as it has only 512Mb of RAM and is PCI-e v2.0 and not 3... Future wise I would look at the GTX1060 and greater...

Looking at what you use the system for, do you need boards with X-fire or SLI, do you use anything on the PCI (NOT PCI express) bus, will you require more than 1 LAN port onboard, do you require a lot of large hard drive space attached etc... Some of these boards are overkill. If you want reliabilty, look at work station boards (not ASUS -ha-ha) that have a decent RTB warranty...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby slimer8 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:29 pm

So, here's where I'm at right now, decided to give ASUS a chance and look at my MB. I'm told, if they can fix it, it could cost me approximately 80% of original cost for the repair. So, all's it's going to cost me for now is shipping for them to look at. I just can't see wasting all the other parts in the system if I can get a $300.00 repair. Even if it's only warranted for 90 days. If the board is unfixable, then I'll go for upgrading. Still haven't decided on MB and then I read a review that the I7-6800K may not be worth the price but still looking into that. If I do upgrade, I will also go for a video card as suggested here.

Thanks for the advice and I'll update info as I get it.
slimer8
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby slimer8 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

And here's the final outcome of P8Z77ws, Asus sent me a notification of tracking for return of the questionable MB. I phoned them and the gentleman said that the MB was replaced and being sent back to me no charge. Amazing since it was out of warranty since last March. In mean time, due to pressing needs I could not wait for an answer and ended up upgrading to a newer system, going with an ASUS X99-AII.
slimer8
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:56 am

Thank you for reporting back on that one.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Recommendations